Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Looking forward to another new adventure

The day before I hit the 2nd trimester, I bit the bullet and told my boss about the baby, and about my plans to stay at home after the baby comes. It’s something that I’ve always known I wanted to do, and I figured it was more fair to my boss to give him as much heads up as I could, while still feeling comfortable about not telling too early. At the risk of sounding a little too full of myself, my boss depends heavily on me as a salesperson for the company, and I didn’t want to hurt him or the rest of the employees here by leaving unexpectedly, or trying to pretend like I was going to come back (we don’t get maternity leave here anyways, so I didn’t really have anything to lose). My boss handled it very well and was appreciative of me being open and honest about my plans, and he was very excited for us about the baby.
It’s going to be an adjustment going from working full time to being a homemaker. And it seems like everyone has an opinion on the value of a homemaker, although I think it’s incredibly important, and Steve does too. I believe that the women of the past worked hard to give us a choice whether or not to work or stay home, and I believe that each woman should have that- a choice. I certainly don’t judge women who choose to work after they have babies- I know a homemaker life isn’t suited for everyone. But it’s something that personally, I know is right for me and my family, and I have satisfaction knowing that I’ve worked hard for 5 years in order to give myself the freedom to stay home, and also in choosing a husband that supported my viewpoints.
August 28th will be my last day at the company, and although it feels far away right now, I know it will be here before we know it!

No comments: