Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Protective Pup

I had always heard that sometimes pets will change their behavior towards you once you’re pregnant, so I was VERY curious to see how Kingsley reacted once he “realized” our happy news. I think he really started sensing a difference around 8 or 9 weeks.
Although he was always interested in being around me before, he’s taken his clingy-ness to a whole new level, and I think it’s adorable. He always has to be in the same room with me now, and if he can be somehow touching me (or even better, laying on my stomach), he’s even happier. See pics of what a very typical view for me consists of nowadays:
He’s also stepped up his desire to be as close to my stomach as possible in the bed too. Before Baby, he was perfectly content to curl up at the foot of the bed, as long as I did my best to avoid kicking him during the night. Now, however, he curls up right next to me, regardless of how often I toss and turn. There are many times that I’ve woken up on my back to discover him sprawled out right across my belly.
The other change I’ve noticed is that whenever Steve is out of town now, or gone for longer than a normal workday, Kingsley appoints himself “man of the house”, and he becomes incredibly protective of me. God help the FedEx guy that dares to ring the doorbell when Kingsley and I are home alone, because K is about 2 seconds away from breaking through the glass and eating him for breakfast. The few times I’ve felt good enough to take K for a walk, he growls at every single dog we pass in the park, where normally he wants to play. But as soon as Steve gets home, you can SEE Kingsley relax and hand back over the “man duties”.
We are hoping these are good signs that he will take well to the baby. We will be doing as many training/acclimation exercises with him as we can before Baby comes, and taking it very slow with him in terms of introducing him to Baby, given that he’s been very skittish with kids in the past. But we’ve got our fingers crossed and we’ll definitely do our homework as much as possible to get our little guy ready for the new little one!!

No comments: