Friday, May 7, 2010

Baby's First Relay for Life

Despite the fact that it's going to be hot as blazes out there today, I'm packing up the baby bump and taking Baby Girl to her very first Relay for Life. Relay is an event that my company has been heavily involved with for years, and although most folks don't know this, Gwinnett's Relay for Life is the biggest Relay event in the world. I believe last year the event raised over $2 million, with almost 10,000 people attending. It's also a cause near and dear to my heart personally, given friends and family that have battled the awful disease of cancer.

This year, the American Cancer Society asked my company to see "what we could do" in terms of beefing up the luminary ceremony, which is one of the most emotionally powerful components of a successful Relay event. So, in our true over the top style, we accepted the challenge, and have our sights set on breaking the Guinness Book of World Records record of the largest candle ceremony in the world. We realized that the previous record was only like 1,000 candles or something like that and with the average number of attendees to Gwinnett's Relay being between 8,000 and 10,000, we figure we can shoot that record into the ground! I'm sad that I doubt I'll last out there until 10:30 when the ceremony starts, but we'll have our video crew and photographers there and I'm sure that there will be awesome coverage for me to check out later. But seriously, if anyone is in or near the Gwinnett area, come check out Relay for Life tonight at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. Need I add a "be there or be square"?

1 comment:

Married Filing Joint said...

Yay Relay for Life! Good Luck, I know you will smash the record!