Wednesday, June 30, 2010

27 weeks = Maybe Third Trimester?

I had a doctor's appointment this morning and my doctor said "Happy Third Trimester!" to me...but it seems also widely accepted that the third trimester starts at 28 weeks, so who the heck knows. Regardless, I'm either at the end of the 2nd Trimester or the beginning of the Third, so I'm happy!

Today's doctor's appointment was quite eventful. I started the morning off by downing a lovely little drink called glucola:


In order to test for gestational diabetes, the doctor has her patients drink this drink, and then exactly one hour later, they do a blood draw and test your blood glucose levels. If you're over a certain level, then you might have gestational diabetes and they do further testing. GD can be dangerous for a mom or her unborn baby so the doctors are proactive about helping you manage it with specific diets. Although the drink wasn't bad (it tastes like an uncarbonated, syrupy orange soda), I definitely hope I pass and don't have to do the three hour version of the test!!

I also got a painful little prick right in my back today called a rhogam shot. Since my blood is o-negative and there is a chance that the baby's blood is positive, the shot will help protect against bad blood interactions. I have to have another one after I deliver.

The doctor also did the standard doppler check and belly measuring. The doppler check doesn't hold much magic for me given that we have our own at home that I may or may not still use on a regular basis (ha) although now that Baby Girl is kicking so often, I don't feel the need to pull out the doppler as much.

I also got good news from the office manager today regarding our insurance coverage. It turns out that almost everything doctor-related is covered by our insurance - the only portion we had to pay was $100. This doesn't apply to any hospital expenses, we'd still have our normal deductible there, but considering that the doctor's non-insurance rates are several thousand dollars, we'll happily take the $100 charge. So, good job BCBS!

And what's Baby Girl up to this week? BabyCenter, hook us up:

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle. 

And because this post isn't long enough already, here's a pic of my big belly:

4 comments:

Janet said...

Woo-hoo, lookin' gorgeous, Mama!

Janet said...

I had the Rhogam shot, too, as all O-neggies do. And I didn't have the gestational diabetes test (despite family history on my Mom's side of borderline diabetics) except when I was carrying Allyson- the doctor was concerned because she was so much bigger than you and Stephen had been and they wanted to rule out GD.
Hang in there, you're doing great and lookin' awesome! (haha... there were no glamour shots of expectant mothers when I went through this!)

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

You look awesome and is it wierd that I think it is super cool that she has the hiccups? All be it for a totally different reason than me...

Sarah said...

yeah I think she actually had her very first hiccups (that I could feel, at least) this morning- 4:30 a.m.! I thought she was just moving around in there at first but then I realized it was on a regular rhythm- so cute! haha poor baby