Monday, August 23, 2010

Full Moon Folklore

You astronomy buffs out there (I know there are a lot of you!) might already know this, but apparently we are due for our August full moon tomorrow. And also apparently, there are a lot of old wives' tales regarding going into labor at the full moon. I never knew this, so I thought it'd be fun to share.

The theory is that the moon’s gravitational pull affects the amniotic fluid in much the same way as it affects the water in the sea, rivers and even the water that’s otherwise found in our bodies. Since everything "in there" is already stretched and ready for action towards the end of your pregnancy, the notion is that the added effect of the full moon's pull can cause your water to break and cause you to go into labor. A google search will turn up lots of anecdotal evidence of maternity wards increasing their staff around the full moon, or midwives saying that they usually see more birth activity around the full moon. I don't know that there's much, if any, actual scientific studies to back this up, but it's fun to think about.

While I'm still a good 5 weeks away from my due date, I feel relatively confident that tomorrow's full moon will not have any effect on me (karma cap!), but I was intrigued to see that September's full moon is slated for Sept. 23rd...just 5 days short of my due date. We'll see then if the moon can work its magic and get this baby out early!

3 comments:

Married Filing Joint said...

Our trip to Amsterdam got moved up a week, so even if the full moon theory is correct, I will be in the USA when baby Forbes arrives! :)

Auntie Ally said...

5 weeks! We're on the baby home stretch! yay!

Sarah said...

yay to both of these comments :-)