Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Final Countdown- Last weekly Update!

Baby Girl is 39 weeks along today and it's time for our very last weekly update...*sniff*. It's not that eventful and I get the feeling that BabyCenter is just putting stuff in there as filler (great, even BabyCenter is saying "wow, you're STILL pregnant?), but oh well- here you go:

Your baby's waiting to greet the world! She continues to build a layer of fat to help control her body temperature after birth, but it's likely she already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. The outer layers of her skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

So...basically she's the size of a watermelon and is peeling like a lizard. Lovely.



Momma's feeling much better today and I think I'm finally getting over that cold/flu that I had all weekend. It was pretty miserable but I'm just happy that Baby Girl didn't decide to come early right in the middle of being sick. Good job, Baby. I'm wrapping up a few last to-do items (which now includes disinfecting my house) and making sure I'm sufficiently over-packed for the hospital.

Speaking of the hospital, you might be interested to know that the entire maternity wing is considered a "high security" area. When we were taking our hospital tour, the nurse explained all of the security measures they have in place to protect the infants. All of the doors are locked, and you either have to be on the approved visitors' list to be buzzed in, or have an official staff badge to get through. The nurse also stressed that despite the locked doors, we should NEVER let anyone that we don't recognize or who doesn't have a ID badge come in and take the baby away, despite whatever medical jargon they throw at us. All of the infants also wear an alarm on their ankles, so if they are taken out of the ward the alarm goes off. The nurse assured us that these security measures are pretty standard nowadays (I promise we're not delivering in the middle of the ghetto), because apparently infant-snatching is a pretty real danger. She also said it's usually not a fantastic idea to have the "New Baby!" signs on the front of your house or in your yard advertising the fact that you've got a newborn. While I agree with her, I do think there's no reason to be overly paranoid about it....but it is pretty interesting and I'm glad the hospital has their security measures in place!

1 comment:

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

Congrats Sarah! I have had so much fun cyber stalking you and baby girl! I always think it is so cool when people have the new baby balloon on their mailboxes. I agree with you, no reason to be overly worried about stuff like that. I hope everything goes great this week and I am sure it will! Best wishes!