Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Safety Patrol!

Now that we're nearing the end of the pregnancy and Baby Girl is getting ready to make her big arrival, I've dedicated some attention away from making sure she has an outfit for every imaginable occasion (don't worry, she does!) and focusing on some of the very important but, in my opinion, weakly advertised safety to-dos.

One of the least promoted safety items is getting the car seat inspected. Maybe everyone else already knows to get their car seat installation inspected and I was just wildly out of the loop on that one, but it had honestly never occurred to me to get it inspected. At first I was reluctant to add this to my rather large to-do list, but I learned that anywhere between 70 and 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly...and a car crash would be a really bad time to discover this! I also learned that our city's fire department conducts the car seat installation inspections for free, all you have to do is make an appointment. Hang out with hot firemen AND get peace of mind that my daughter is protected as best as she can be in a car crash? Sign me up!
In all honesty, the fire chief that inspected my car seat looked absolutely nothing like that. But he COULD have, you never know. Steve actually did a great job installing the car seat- he included a lot of the steps that most parents miss when installing the seat, but the chief did make a few adjustments to the front seat positions and to the carrying bar, and he also showed me a couple of tricks to get the seat latched in even tighter like using my knee to hold it down, and twisting the belt to get the grip stronger. He also told me differences to look out for if we ever move the seat to the Altima vs. the 4Runner. All in all, definitely worth 20 minutes of my time.

The second safety to-do was taking the infant CPR class. I've mentioned on the blog a few times already that we were signed up to take this, and I'm very glad that we did. The last time I even looked at a CPR mannequin was in high school, and I've never been trained in infant or child CPR, so it gave me a lot of peace of mind that both Steve and I (and my mom and sister) all know at least the basics if God forbid something were to happen.

Last but not least, we're also encouraging our family and close friends to get their flu shots this year. Last year's flu season was horrific on many different levels and quite honestly it makes me paranoid to take Baby Girl out in public this fall and winter. Since she can't get her flu shot until she's 6 months old, we're depending on the adults around her to stay healthy, or at least be responsible enough to stay away if they do get sick. Our families have already promised to get the shot and Steve and I plan to as well. Is this a guarantee that she won't get sick? Of course not, but at least we know we tried our best.

No comments: