Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Unexpected Doc Appointment but Everything's Okay!

Well, I promise I didn't intend to be this chatty today, but I unexpectedly had my weekly doctor's appointment today instead of tomorrow so I figured I'd update.

As you readers already know, I get a weekly email from BabyCenter.com that tells me what week I'm in and what is going on that week with me and the baby, along with other helpful hints. Well, today a certain sentence caught my eye saying that if you're nauseous or vomiting at this point in your pregnancy, especially if it has just recently started, you need to call your doctor because it could be a sign of a condition called pre-eclampsia. I had heard of this condition and know it can be pretty bad for the mom and the unborn baby but I didn't know that vomiting was potentially a symptom of that. So I read that and think "well, crap", because I've been throwing up and have felt nauseous pretty consistently since Saturday morning.

I was also a little bit concerned because I haven't felt Baby Girl moving as often as she had been, and I felt like I noticed that decrease in movement since Sunday. So the combination of the nausea and the decreased movement prompted me to call my doc and see what she thought. The nurse asked me to come in so they could monitor the baby on their fetal NST Machine (Non Stress Test) for a little bit to make sure Baby wasn't in any kind of distress. I had never used this machine before but basically you lie down and they strap a couple of monitors to your belly that record movement and the heartbeat.

Of course the second I lie down and the nurse leaves, Baby Girl starts bouncing off the walls. I wonder why on earth she couldn't move like that when I was at home on the couch because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered coming in!! Sure enough, the doctor comes in 20 minutes later to read the printout and the baby is doing just fine, with a nice strong heartbeat and lots of movement. Since I was there already, they went ahead and did the standard weekly appointment things so that I didn't have to come back again tomorrow. I'm measuring right on track size-wise, but baby's still breech, so we're keeping to our 9/23 c-section date. The doc also gave me a few sample packets of a prescription prenatal vitamin that's supposed to be a little gentler on your stomach to help with the nausea.

One of the nurses eyed my belly and made her official prediction that she didn't think I'd make it until next Thursday, so we'll see if she's right!

This picture is not me but this is what it looks like to be on the NST monitor!

No comments: