Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Well hello 1st Trimester, didn't expect to see you again...

We're officially 37 weeks along now (hooray!) and Baby Girl is now considered to be full term. Being able to stay home and rest for the last week has really helped me feel like a totally different momma-to-be and I've caught a second wind with the whole pregnancy deal. For a few weeks there at the end of my work life I was pretty miserable, not gonna lie, and it's amazing what a big difference being able to stay inside with my feet up has made. It makes me very very happy with our decision to let me leave work a month early vs. trying to work up until my due date!! I will say though that some unpleasant parts of the first trimester have come back to haunt me at the end, including some puking and some middle-school-esque skin problems. The baby apparently now hates orange juice, despite wanting gallons of it throughout the entire pregnancy, but at least she's grown used to my morning cup of coffee. I crawled into bed the other night and mumbled pathetically that I hate throwing up, and my ever-supportive husband said, "well, then stop doing it." Thanks, honey.

The one cute thing that's reminiscent of the first trimester is that Kingsley has renewed his obsession with my belly...I really need to try to get a picture of him cuddling with me because it's beyond adorable. He squirms his way onto my lap if I'm lying on the couch, and then he curls up around my bowling ball belly and rests his head on it. It's SO cute although apparently animals can sense impending labor, so let's hope that he's just taking advantage of my full attention and NOT getting ready to welcome his baby sister early!!

I'm pretty sure Baby Girl is still breech in there, although we will confirm with an ultrasound tomorrow. Steve and I have decided to go ahead and schedule the c-section tomorrow at my appointment (which means she will be here in TWO WEEKS...yikes!!). Although I'm not excited about the prospect of major abdominal surgery, I am at peace with the decision. I've also got a chiropractor appointment scheduled for Thursday, who will use what is called the Webster Technique on me. Apparently they do some kind of manipulation to my spine that helps open up the uterus in there and gives the baby more space to turn. My friend Kelly had success with this and I've heard other good things about it too, so I figure it's worth a shot.

This is going to be a busy week- between doctor appointments, I've also got an appointment scheduled to get our car seat installation inspected (apparently the overwhelming majority of car seats are installed incorrectly, who knew?), the house to clean, my hospital bag to pack, the nursery to finish in time for the big unveiling at girls' night on Friday, the AC in the nursery to get fixed, and the Infant CPR class to get ready for on Saturday. I am also knocking out our final shopping list this week too just in case Baby Girl decides she wants to come early. And then because I apparently love throwing as much onto my plate as possible (ha!), I am also working on a 3-week meal plan of meals that can be frozen ahead of time to help ease the burden on us after the baby comes.

Anyways, here's the official Baby Center update on what the baby's doing this week. I also realized that I've been forgetting the Father's Guide to Baby Sizes Update (I can't believe nobody called me on that!) so I will include the very last size, haha.

Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, her lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)
Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds (or 8...same thing, right? haha) and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

 Pregnancy Week 37 to the big day:
Your baby is the size of the electric motor
in the $110,000 2008 Tesla which can
go from 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds.  Sweet.

No comments: