Monday, November 15, 2010

Thoughts on a Funny Movie

Last Christmas, we received a movie called "Away We Go", and we didn't get around to watching it until I was around 6 months pregnant. It turns out that it was a perfect time to watch it, given that the entire storyline revolves around the main character being pregnant. John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph play a couple who find themselves expecting a little girl, and decide to travel around the United States finding the ideal city in which to raise their baby. They visit friends who are already parents, and get inside looks at the varied parenting styles. It is quite a funny movie but also very interesting to watch...the different parenting styles were obviously exaggerated in the movie, but it did get us talking about what kind of parenting styles we think we would have once our little one came.


I've been thinking about that movie more now that we've got a couple of baby months under our belt and I'm amused to see which elements of the parenting styles we've already adopted so far. While I think as a whole, we seem more like the Montreal family, it does make me giggle that the single character I associate with the most so far is actually Maggie Gyllenhaal's...which I definitely didn't see coming!!

Maggie's character plays a mom with pretty extreme "new age" views regarding the raising of her children. I relate more to the general mechanics of her parenting style vs. the actual attitude behind it - she's very judgmental and the whole philosophy seems kind of pretentious and affected...but I look back on her character and have to laugh because a lot of the components are alive and well in our house. The cloth diapers, the desire to co-sleep (I honestly would do it every single night if the epilepsy wasn't a factor), the breastfeeding, the baby-wearing (not gonna lie, I have that exact same wrap that's pictured in that photo up there...and no, I didn't do that on purpose), the organic food. Apart from the breastfeeding, I didn't walk into parenthood convinced that I was going to do all of these things, they've just evolved because they felt "right" for us and our little one. I do maintain a healthy sense of humor about everything and I would like to think that I'm a lot more laid back than Maggie's character...and I certainly wouldn't turn down the gift of an expensive stroller because I enjoy using a wrap, haha. I believe her quote was "I LOVE my babies, why would I want to PUSH them away from me???!!?" And I certainly don't judge other parents for the choices that they make (apart from not vaccinating your children...I will always maintain that it's an extremely irresponsible decision. And yes, I researched it.)...as long as the kids are fed, clean and happy, every family is different and I trust parents to make the decisions that are right for their families.

Anyways, I know a parenting style is constantly evolving, especially as babies grow up. It will be fun to see how Steve and I handle the various situations that parenting can throw at us. "Away We Go" is a cute movie especially if you have babies or have one on the way, and I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up if you're looking for a Saturday night movie.

No comments: