Monday, November 29, 2010

We've All Got a Lot to be Thankful For

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I'm still doing my darndest to get into the holiday spirit. I don't know if it's been the weather, the denial that it's actually almost December, the fact that the XM Christmas station is still playing their crap music, or what, but I'm just having a really hard time with it this year. Normally I'm chomping at the bit to get my Christmas decorations up right after Thanksgiving, but this year, all the storage bins are still firmly in the basement and I don't think we're even going to buy a tree. I know I will put them up at some point soon but for right now, I'm happy just getting the fall stuff put away.

Anyways, all of the blogs in my google reader (and a lot of friends on Facebook) have been doing a daily countdown of things that they are grateful for. While I doubt I can commit to a daily countdown, I have been thinking of a list of things that I'm thankful for this year and I thought it deserved a post.

1) The usual suspects- my wonderful husband, my beautiful healthy baby girl, and a mostly-well-behaved Captain Kingsley. I'm also thankful for a roof over my head, Hubby's steady job, and the freedoms that we as a society enjoy.

2) I'm thankful that both of our families live in the general Atlanta area and can be a consistent part of Anna's life. We had no extended family live anywhere close to Atlanta when we were growing up (at least in the G household), and visits were limited to once every several years, if that. I love that Anna has 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 2 wonderful grandmothers, and an equally wonderful grandfather within a relatively easy driving distance, and that they'll get to share in her development and milestones (and babysit!).

3) I'm thankful for everyone in this photo plus Karrie, who would be photoshopped in if I had such skills.

I have some fantastic women in my life and I have learned so much from them, as well as shared so much support, excitement, and just plain fun with all of them. Some of these girls have been in my life since early elementary school (yay Murdock Mustangs, haha) and some have become friends just in the last few recent years, but I count all of them among my life's biggest blessings.

4) I'm thankful that my epilepsy has been manageable with the baby's sleep schedule. I was really really worried about this before the baby came and while I'm obviously still being very careful with making sure I get enough sleep, I haven't had to go back on my medication (and therefore could continue breastfeeding) and I really can't express how relieved I am about this.

5) Speaking of breastfeeding, I am also thankful that it has come so easily for me and Anna. Before the baby came, all I ever heard about it was how hard it was and how "if you just struggle through the first x number of weeks, it will get better". I was lucky and only had a few days of discomfort at the beginning, but we figured it out quickly and haven't had any problems since then. I know a lot of women really do have problems with it, and because of those problems, it can be very painful, but we managed to skip all of that. I think the class we took helped, and maybe I just got lucky with a baby that never really had latch problems or allergies or anything, but regardless of the reason, I'm a happy momma!

6) I'm thankful for marrying a man that is thrilled to be a daddy. Steve really goes above and beyond with wanting to be a part of Anna's life. I love being able to stay at home with Anna and handle most of the work with her so that when Steve gets home, he can enjoy his daughter and be a part of her day before she goes to bed. I love that he pays enough attention to her that he has favorite outfits that she wears, and that he can calm her down when she's really fussy. He makes up the sweetest little games and songs for her- I honestly could watch them play together for hours. Steve also always talks about plans for Anna (and all the future kids) and things that he's excited to do with them, and the best part about it is that I know he'll follow through with it and always be there for them.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Awww...Sarah...this made me cry =) Love you so much and I'm thankful for YOU and the example you're setting for me about being a momma.

Janet said...

YAY! Beautiful blessings! I hope you continue to find being a Mom (and Dad) so fun and fulfilling, I know it's the most important thing I've ever done! Nothing can compare!!:)