Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Favorite Christmas Songs

My friend Kathryn posted about her favorite Christmas carols today and I wanted to play too! I'm a Christmas song fanatic (my current playlist this year is up to about 4 hours, haha) so I'll do my top 10. I'd love to hear your favorites too!


1. "Oh Holy Night"...hands down my favorite Christmas song. My favorite versions are by Jewel, Josh Groban, and surprisingly, a duet version with Avril Lavigne and Chantal Kreviazuk. Normally I am not a fan of Avril Lavigne but it's a fun, younger version of the song.

2. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. Showcased in one of my favorite movies, Love Actually and one of the few "new" Christmas songs that I like.


3. "Holiday Road". Originally written by Fleetwood Mac's guitarist, my favorite version is by Matt Pond PA. Beautiful song! If you like it a little livelier, the original Lindsey Buckingham version is quicker. I don't believe it was originally written to be a Christmas song but especially the Matt Pond version fits in perfectly with the rest of my holiday music!!

4. "Sanctus" by the choir Libera. Based on Pachelbel's Canon in D, it is seriously one of the prettiest songs I have ever heard. Auntie Ally and GrandMaree are very familiar with this song because it's been on every Christmas playlist for the past...what, 6 years? A long time!

5. "I'll be Home for Christmas"...I'm not totally sure why I like this song so much beyond the inherent nostalgia in it. My fav versions are by Bing Crosby and Perry Como. This song originally became popular in the early 1940's because it lined up with so many soldiers being overseas in WWII. It always serves as a reminder that even though it's not as publicly paraded as it was with WWII, there are still thousands of soldiers and armed forces serving their country away from their families over the holidays, and we should keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

6. "Christmas Is Going to the Dogs" by the Eels. A tongue-in-cheek nod to the happy pups at Christmas, this one was added to my list last year in honor of the Captain.



7. "Hark the Herald Angels Sing/Gloria" by Mariah Carey. I love both of these songs on their own but Mariah did a mash-up and it added just enough variety to the classics without making them too modern and losing their charm. Christina Aguilera should learn how to do that because her Christmas songs are awful.

8. "Sleigh Ride"...not really picky about who does this song. I love how the song emphasizes how social the holidays are, and of course the cold weather! It also dorkily reminds me of orchestra/band days, because I think it was on the list for any and all holiday concerts!!

9. "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" again, not too picky on the artist but Josh Groban's is a good one. It's a pretty song but I like it because it's a fun song for a soprano to sing, haha. "Deck the Halls" can be 9a for the same reason.

10. "Frosty the Snowman". Up until this year, this song would have NEVER made my top 10 list. But apparently it's one of Anna's absolute favorites, so it's sung pretty frequently around our house while Anna dances/bounces. And the lyrics have been updated to "thumpity thump thump thumpity thump thump look at Anna go!" Almost always guaranteed to get a baby grin or giggle, and that alone wins it a spot on the list!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hooray for Christmas songs, and for favorites lists! Some of my favorites, too! Fun to think Anna's giggling now!

Ally said...

I love how Kingsley looks pooped after helping eat -er I mean decorate the house! He's such a trooper!