Friday, January 14, 2011

Apple Walnut Bread

I've had this recipe saved for a while now. It's from a combination of two of my favorite blogs- Good Things Catered which is unfortunately no longer around, and Vintage Victuals. I love the Vintage Victuals blog because her recipes are usually fairly simple and straightforward, and don't rely on a lot a of processed foods.

I finally made this recipe when I realized we were out of bagels and English muffins, and I wanted to make sure we had something for breakfast in the morning. When I spotted apples on the counter that I had bought for Steve's lunches, and were probably going to go bad soon, I remembered this recipe and decided to give it a shot. I will definitely make it again, but I think next time I will try to double or triple it and stick a few loaves in the freezer. It's way too good and goes way too fast to make just one loaf at a time!!

Apple Walnut Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups apples peeled, cored, and diced
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, and grease a regular loaf pan.

In medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large electric mixer bowl, combine the oil and sugar and beat well. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Add in the vanilla. Turn your mixer to low and carefully add the dry ingredients, beating just until combined. Fold in the apples and pecans. The resulting batter will be thick and sticky – barely enough to hold all of the apples and pecans together!

Spread the batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving if desired.

No comments: