Monday, January 3, 2011

Decluttering

One of the unexpected things that has developed over the last month or so has been a strong impulse to declutter. And I'm not talking about just the house (although that's for sure on the declutter list! Introducing Stevo to the wonders of donating to Goodwill was probably the smartest thing I've done in a while, haha). Having a little one that takes up most of my time and mental energy during the day has really emphasized the importance of simplifying everything else in my life. Quite frankly, I just don't have the time for it anymore and I've really been putting a lot of effort into paring down. I only get a limited amount of time to do something, I really want to make sure that I'm spending that time on the "best of the best" of that activity.

My blog reader has been cut down from around 80 blogs to about 30. And I don't miss any of the ones that are gone- in fact, I didn't even remember some of the blogs that were on there when I went to clean it out. My meal plans have been made infinitely more simple and incorporate a lot more fresh items. My clothes closet got a very firm cleaning-out, which has probably been long overdue. My reading queue has become a lot more selective. The DVR in the house got a good weeding-out so only the few shows we actually watch are on there. I'm even highly tempted to go through my Facebook friends list and delete anyone I haven't talked to in the last year. My errands are thought out ahead of time and organized to get me back home to the baby as quickly and efficiently as possible. I've even started finally going through my million picture albums and getting them uploaded to print.

I admit that all of these things probably should have been started years ago, but I never really had the motivation, and I never really noticed how much all this extra "stuff" (whether physical or mental) was cluttering up my life. I love freeing up my mind and emotional energy and being able to dedicate all of it to my beautiful baby (and husband and pup too of course).

No comments: