Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

My friend Katherine brought this delicious dish over for us after the baby came, and we were surprised at how much we liked it. I'm a little ashamed to admit that the only eggplant parmesan I've ever had prior to this was the one on the menu at Maggiano's...so, I think more fried breading and marinara sauce than eggplant. She sent me the recipe and I finally tried it last night. I had originally planned this to be dinner for 2 nights but it really made enough for 3 meals, so I will be enjoying it for lunch today too :-). Yummy!

Eggplant Parmesan (adapted from Katherine Peak's recipe)

1 large eggplant
1 package sliced Provolone cheese
12 oz fresh cut leaf spinach, or 12 oz bag frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed and drained
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 clove minced garlic
2 jars garlic spaghetti sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Olive oil
Italian-style bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 325, and prep a glass 9x13 dish with canola non-stick spray.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
3. Combine the egg and milk. Pour the breadcrumbs into a second bowl.
4. Batter the pieces of eggplant by dipping into milk mixture and then coating with the bread crumbs.
5. Fry the eggplant pieces in olive oil, in a large skillet over medium heat, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Once the pieces are fried, place them on paper towels to help absorb oil and cool.
6. When done with eggplant, cook the onions in a small amount of oil until tender, separating the slices into rings as you cook. Add minced garlic for 20 seconds, then turn off heat.
7. In the prepared glass pan, layer eggplant, onions and garlic, 1 jar of sauce, the spinach, and the provolone cheese. Add one more layer of eggplant and sauce.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes. Top with the mozzarella cheese during the last 10 minutes.
     8a. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top so it can officially be called Eggplant Parmesan ;-)

This dish is perfect with sliced toasted french bread and a green salad.

6 comments:

Steve said...

FYI....Sarah thinks EVERYTHING is perfect with sliced toasted french bread and a green salad.

And this dish is pretty good - Peak did a great job on it when she brought it over and Sarah did a great job replicating it last night. Definitely good enough to jump in the regular rotation.

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

Duh - that's because EVERYTHING is perfect with sliced toasted french bread and a green salad!

I am gonna try this...maybe I can get Peak (who I don't think even knows me or vis a versa)...to do a guest post!

Nicole said...

Hahahah...Lainey you totally know Peak! At least I'm pretty sure she knows you =) And I'm sure she would be happy to do a guest post!

Sarah - what did you do with the thawed spinach? Did that go on the bottom layer? Just assuming, but I didn't see it in there and I was curious where the spinach went! I can't wait to try this =)

Sarah said...

damn...hold on, will fix

dallas said...

your recipe is much better written :) also, i don't think we can truly consider it eggplant parmesan because, well technically, there is no parmesan cheese. just sayin.

Sarah said...

hmm...you bring up a good point. Okay I'll add a step in there, haha.