Friday, March 4, 2011

Belly Babbles Book Club


So...I read a lot. A lot, a lot. And quite frankly, it's rare that I come across a book that I find truly delightful. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, is one of those books. I LOVED this book.

I happened across it when a friend mentioned that she was reading it. My ears perked up when she said the story was set right after World War II, which has always been a time period that fascinated me. I found it as an ebook from the library, and once I got it downloaded, I couldn't put it down.

The entire book is a collection of letters between a newspaper writer/author, her best friend, her publisher, and an unlikely group of friends who hastily formed a literary society on their small English island as an excuse for being out after a Nazi-imposed curfew. The individual characters are well-developed, and their letters reflect tons of personality and wit. And I think that their portrayal of the Occupation was well-researched and historically accurate.

Loved it. Now you read it and tell me what you think!

No comments: