Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ever been in the right place at the right time?

This is a rare non-baby related post, but yesterday was so bizarre that I feel compelled to talk about it. You know how sometimes your plans don't work out, but it ended up being a really good thing that you were where you were at the time you were there? (could that sentence get any more convoluted?)

This has happened to me twice recently, including yesterday. Maybe this is a sign that I need to stick to my plans better (ha) or maybe the universe just thinks I'm a helpful person. Or a sucker for a sob story. Who knows.

The first was a few months ago, right when Georgia was in the middle of a very cold snap. I was out running errands with Anna, and I kept telling myself ALL day to make sure to go by the library to return my books. And just as I finish my errands, I forget and head straight home. As I pull in the garage and go to pull Anna out, I see those books sitting on the back seat and curse. At that point, I decided to wait until Steve was home so I could leave Anna with him and run up to the library really quickly. Well, I pull into the parking lot and think that it looks really empty. I park my car in front of the library, and I see a young girl (maybe around 11 or 12? Middle school-ish) get out of the car ahead of me with her backpack, and the mom takes off. I grab my books and walk up to the door with her, and we discover that the library is closed for some random holiday that nobody except libraries and banks celebrate. It was freezing and dark, and the girl didn't have a cell phone. I was very thankful that I was there - the girl was able to use my phone to call her mom and we waited together until her mom came back. Apparently the mom wasn't planning to return for 2+ hours and the girl wasn't even wearing a coat.

The second "adventure" was yesterday and I think it was one of the most bizarre things that I've ever gone through. I was driving home from Marietta after visiting a friend, and I had 100% concrete plans to stop by Target on the way home to get a few baby items that I had to have before Saturday. Well, I am driving through the neighborhood and I decide that maybe I should run home first and feed/change Anna before I go to the store. I'm just a few houses down from ours when I notice a woman standing in the middle of the street, waving her arms. She looks pretty worried so I stop and roll down my window, and I notice that she looks incredibly upset. My first thought is that she lost her dog or something, but she comes right up to the window and she says, " "I know you don't know me but he took my car keys and my cell phone and left and I need to get out of here before he gets back, can you please please please give me a ride?" Her car is parked at the house with the door open but she obviously can't go anywhere without the keys.

I look at her for a minute and you can tell she's frazzled and upset. It looks like she's been crying. She was borderline hysterical. I tell her that I live down the street and does she need to call the police? She said that she has a friend in town that she's called but she needs a ride to get to him, and that she needs to leave before this guy gets home. So I tell her I need to take the baby home first but that I would help her.

I leave Anna with Steve and I take her to the hotel where her friend is. She's upset the whole time we're in the car, and she says she thinks she was drugged. I keep asking her if she needs to go to the police station or the hospital, but she kept saying her friend would take her. When we get to the hotel, I wait for her to go inside and she comes back out with her friend. The friend offers me gas money (which I of course refused) and I told him that I think she needs to go to the hospital (which was right next door). He seemed competent and protective. The woman said that I was her angel and that I did my good deed for the year. I told her to take care of herself and she has my cell phone number.

Was it stupid to let a stranger in the car? Probably. Was it stupid of me to drive 30+ minutes into Atlanta during Friday rush hour for someone that I don't know? Probably. But...maybe I did the right thing. I don't really know. I know I'll never know the whole story and I'll probably never see her again, but I hope that she's okay.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Aw,stories like that make me think everything happens for a reason. You'll at least have good karma for a while! Glad everything worked out well.

valleegirl said...

In RS we say "we are the hands of heaven on earth!"