Sunday, March 27, 2011

SAHM FAQ LOL BBQ

When people learn that I'm a stay at home mom (SAHM), I get a few of the same questions a LOT so I thought it'd be fun to do a FAQ. I know a couple of other stay at home mommas read this blog, it'd be fun to see if they get the same questions!

What do you do all day?

Well, lots of things! I try to stick to my weekly cleaning schedule, so in the mornings during Anna's nap I try to knock out the housecleaning for the day. We also like to go for a long walk in the morning in the neighborhood. Then, several times during the week, we either have Gymboree, play dates with friends, or lunch or coffee dates. We get out of the house a lot! And yes, I get plenty of adult interaction, haha. And I'm sure that none of you had absolutely ANY idea about this, but Anna's main concern during the day at home is playing with me and her toys and Kingsley. So we do a lot of that :-). Anna goes to bed sometime between 7 and 8, and once she's asleep I catch up on the blog, maybe watch one of our shows with the hubster, read for a bit, or finish a project that I didn't get around to during the day.

Don't you miss the adult interaction?

Nope, see above. I think I actually get more quality adult interaction now than I did while I was working. It's definitely more fun interaction, that's for sure!

What do you eat for lunch?

This one makes me giggle. What does anyone eat for lunch? But since I do get it pretty frequently, here we go. I usually eat salads - I buy a ton of different veggies every week (cucumbers, avocado, carrots, squash, etc.) so I never really get sick of it. I also usually add a bit of chopped deli ham to the top for protein. I also love eggs, and I also eat cold cut sandwiches with either yogurt or a banana, apple, or orange on the side. Sometimes if we've got the odd serving of leftovers, I'll eat that, but we usually try to save leftovers for dinner so we don't have to cook every night. Occasionally I will make a grilled cheese sandwich and soup.

How do you meet people?

This was a concern of mine when I was getting ready to "retire" - very few of my current friends nearby had kiddos, or they were still working, and I knew that I'd have to expand my social network in order to help fill up our day and give Anna some playmates. I met the majority of my new momma friends through meetup.com - I joined a couple of the local groups. And I don't really have a problem striking up a conversation with new people, so after going to a few activities, I've managed to find some pretty good friends! I also have found that most other new moms at the consignment sales, doctor's office, or at Gymboree are also looking for more friends. I really think that if you're even just the slightest bit outgoing, there are plenty of new friends to be made :-). Of course I still love hanging out with my non-mommy friends too. I love meeting up for lunch, brunch, or shopping... and I'm looking forward to the day (hopefully soon, haha) that Stevo can put Anna down for bed without World War III erupting and I can go out for drinks or dinner again.


When are you going back to work?

Well, to be honest, the plan is for me to be at home indefinitely. I consider being a momma my full-time job now and I don't think that's going to stop just because the kiddos are in school. I'll never say never, but if all goes well it's going to be quite some time before I consider working even part-time. And I feel my contributions here at home are infinitely more important than having the extra income  :-). I have been informed though that if the income taxes are done away with and Steve's job becomes obsolete, I will have to go back to work so Steve can figure out how to make a living brewing beer!!

What does your husband do?

 90% of the time, this question is just idle get-to-know-you conversation and I don't think twice about it. I will say though, that when it's preceded by "When are you going back to work?", and then they say. "Oh wow! You're so lucky!! What does your husband do?", I think it's a little offensive. It seems like a roundabout way to guess at our income level. which, quite frankly, is nonya bizness. It's also a little offensive given that I put in 5 very hard but successful years pulling in income in order to enable me staying at home - this is not just a result of me solely depending on my husband's income.  It is also humorous that in a lot of minds, you either have to be living in poverty and on welfare, or you have to be ridiculously wealthy in order to have one of the parents staying at home. Let me assure you that there is a medium area in there, folks! But anyway, he's a CPA, lol.

When are you having a second baby?

Hahahahahahahaha.



No comments: