Friday, May 13, 2011

Pinterest

Okay, I'll add this to the list of things that everyone probably already knew about and I'm just now discovering, but this site is pretty cool. Pinterest.com is an online organizational site that lets you "pin" things from around the web, onto boards that you've created. I guess the main purpose of the site is for you to follow people (and have them follow you) and stalk each other's boards, but honestly I'm excited about it for my own selfish purposes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have been bookmarking my favorite recipes, craft ideas, baby info, and decor inspirations for years...and all it resulted in was a bookmark list three miles long. I just spent a little time the other night moving all of my google reader bookmarked recipes to Pinterest, and I am loving how easy it is to scroll through the pictures and select what looks tasty. Everything is all laid out in one place, and can be easily sorted or re-sorted into whatever categories I choose.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have a feeling that this is going to be a very useful little website. Right now I have all the recipes sorted, and I've also started a "Weekly Menu" board. For any recipes that are online and pinned, all I have to do is re-pin them to the Weekly Menu board and there's my dinner menu for the week. My grocery list will be easy to write, and the recipes will be very easy to find when it's time to cook. It takes only a few seconds to create new boards, so I can easily see this expanding to a month's worth of meal plans in just a couple of minutes.

I also created a "To Get To" board. I run across interesting-looking books and movies all the time online, and I always think to myself, "Wow, self...remember that because you'd probably like to read it." And then two seconds later I forget. I love being able to easily pin the books and movies to this board, and then find them at the library or buy or borrow them as I get time. I also see a lot of boards devoted to specific room decorating ideas and I think that's also a great use for this.

I do admit that it's still a little buggy. There are a few sites that I can't get to pin for the life of me (like The Pioneer Woman), and I guess you have to rely on websites not changing or being deleted, but I think that this website will prove to be quite useful!

Pinterest is also doing that obnoxious "build hype by controlling access" scheme, so you can only sign up by requesting access to their website or by being invited by someone who's already a member. Apparently requesting via the website takes quite a bit of time so if you want to join, send me an email or leave a comment with your email address and I'll send you an invitation.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh yay! I have been trying to join but maybe you can add me? Khamilton626@gmail.com

Robin said...

I'd like to check it out. erfgirl@gmail.com

Thanks!

Kirby Lynn said...

I've been meaning to look at this so why wait any longer? Thanks for offering to help (: kirbylynncleland@gmail.com
Thanks!

thejenblack said...

Add me! Jenniferblack777@gmail.com