Saturday, June 25, 2011

Nursing in Public...Sort of


Faithful Seinfeld watchers might remember the episode where George Constanza brags about his superior mental map of the best public bathrooms in New York City. When I first saw that episode, I just laughed...who does that??

Well, apparently I do. Except my mental map contains the best places in the metro Atlanta area to nurse the baby when I'm out running errands. I can guarantee you that nobody except the mother of an infant would ever think about this, but the older Anna gets, the harder and harder it gets to nurse her inconspicuously out in public. And trying to get out, get the errands done, and get home within 2-3 hours just isn't feasible sometimes.


In a pinch, I'll nurse her in the car, but that's getting harder and harder too. So here's my top favorite places to nurse her comfortably, without flashing everyone in the general vicinity. In no particular order:

1) Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby- they have a small mother's lounge in all their stores with a changing table and a couple of cushy chairs. You might get some diaper traffic through there but it gets the job done.

2) Motherhood Maternity/Destination Maternity stores - the sales associates are more than happy to let you borrow a dressing room for as long as you need it. This store is nice because most of the malls around here have one. Really, though, you could use any dressing room, although you'd probably want to find one with plenty of open ones so nobody bothers you.

3) Department stores - I have discovered that most of the department stores have a baby lounge, with a changing table and sofa. I have seen them at Macy's, Dillard's, and Nordstrom and I'm kind of thinking that Belk had one too but I can't remember. They are all over by the elevator or near the restrooms.

4) The Library - nerd alert! Almost all of the libraries nearby have private reading rooms or conference rooms. I've asked the librarian a couple of times if I can use the conference room just to make sure there wasn't some kind of meeting in there and she's always been more than happy to let me borrow it!

5) Atlanta tourist attractions - the Georgia Aquarium, Zoo Atlanta, and Turner Field (Braves stadium) will all let you nurse in the First Aid station if you want some privacy. Apparently the Aquarium is building more family restrooms but I don't know if that's just a bigger bathroom or an actual lounge.

The main lesson I've learned is that if you are looking for a private place, no matter where you are, it never hurts to ask!

2 comments:

Brooke and Mike said...

I'm really glad you posted this! I always just plan to nurse in the car if I'm out and M gets hungry because I never even thought about changing rooms or asking if there was a nursing/baby room!

Kelly said...

I love nursing at Buy Buy Baby. I feel like their room is so much cleaner than BRU but maybe that's just because it's newer. It's so hard to nurse in the car now too since it's a million degrees out and the cost of gas is through the roof!!!