Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Cute Neighbor Kid Story

We live in a neighborhood chock full of little kids, and our rare interactions with them usually result in some pretty cute stories.

Yesterday we were knee-deep in some dusty and dirty house projects when the doorbell rang. Usually when the doorbell rings, it's either a Jehovah's Witness (we live inconveniently close to one of their meeting halls) or a salesman. I glanced out to see a little girl standing there, and since it's too early for Girl Scout cookies (unfortunately), I had absolutely no idea why a little girl would be standing on our front porch.

I opened the door to find the little girl holding a handful of crafts that she had made. There was a little beaded bracelet, a pair of beaded earrings, and two books made from cut-up printer paper and staples. She very quietly asked if I would like to buy any of her crafts. I could tell that the girl was very shy, so I was impressed with her entrepreneurial skills. I asked if I could see them and she handed the entire bunch over. I told her the bracelet was very pretty and asked how much she wanted for it. She thought for a moment, and then said 75 cents.

DSC_0044

I said that I was very sorry, but that I didn't have any quarters. Would she be willing to accept a dollar for it, instead?

Now this threw her for a loop. She contemplated that in silence for a minute and then said, "I guess that would be okay." LOL!

So I went and fetched my crispest dollar bill and now I am the proud owner of a hand-made beaded bracelet. And I hope that if Anna ever gets the notion to sell her little projects, that she will be met with a sense of humor and a heap of kindness too!

DSC_0043