Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What a Day for a Daydream

And I’m lost in a daydream
Dreamin ‘bout my bundle of joy
 -Lovin Spoonful

I keep the house very quiet during the day, no radio, no TV. And although I do talk and sing a lot to Banana Bean, I really enjoy the quiet because it gives me time and peace to think, contemplate things, and daydream. 

And oh how I daydream! There are so many things that I'm looking forward to with Anna, and daydreaming is one of my favorite things to do when I'm rocking her in the dark nursery, or playing with her at a play date, or taking her out shopping.

There is an ice cream truck that makes its neighborhood rounds during the last stages of Anna's bedtime routine, and I smile thinking of the day that she's one of the kiddos outside begging for a cone before dinner. 

As I read her bedtime stories, I daydream about when Anna's old enough to fall in love with my old childhood favorites. Will she love Ramona Quimby? Anne of Green Gables? Roald Dahl?

I love imagining us doing Anna's back-to-school wardrobe shopping, and seeing what she picks out and what she'll like.

I daydream about her prom, and helping her find a dress, and helping her to get ready. And being "that mom" begging for just a few more pictures before they get into the limo. Because I will be "that mom". If you couldn't already guess.

I watch the kids in the park playing soccer and I daydream about Anna finding a sport that she loves. I want to be the mom that's always the one on the sidelines cheering her on.

I daydream about signing Anna up for dance classes, and going to all of her little recitals.

I daydream about all of the art masterpieces that I will get to hang on the fridge or the wall.

I'm not alone in this daydream, but I love imagining taking Banana to Disney World for the first time. Who will her favorite princess be? What will her favorite movie be? Will she love Mickey and Minnie?

I could keep going for pages and pages, but the weather is cool and we're off for a walk. A perfect activity for some more daydreaming :-)

No comments: