Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

2012 is on like Donkey Kong and unless the world ends, we've got a whole new shiny year stretched out before us. I've never really put much weight behind New Year's resolutions, but Steve and I did come up with a few this year that we really are going to stick to. And some projects are already in progress! I'm also going to sprinkle in some pictures of Anna from today.

1) Get the house in better order. I consider myself to be a fairly decent housekeeper usually so this isn't so much referencing cleaning, but there have definitely been some areas of the house that could use some streamlining in terms of functionality. The first area I have started tackling is the kitchen. And it's funny because Steve has been saying for months that we should reorganize the kitchen and my stubborn self just brushed him off. But then the other day he actually told me a few of his ideas and damn it, he was right. We had a ton of low-use items taking up some of the best storage space in the kitchen, and a lot of the practicality and functionality was lost. I was just so used to it that I never really thought about how to make it better. I'm not going to bore you with all the details, but this is one of the parts of the reorganization, which cleared up an entire cabinet and also now nicely displays my little cookbook collection:

IMG_0290

We've got a few other areas of the house on our tackle list and I'm looking forward to getting those knocked out.

2) Get our budget back in order. We actually did a pretty good job this year in terms of keeping to a budget, but we admittedly got a little slack towards the end of the year. And we were able to drop some bills (peace out, cable) and we also added some new ones in terms of new insurance, etc., so my mint.com budget really needed some updating. Plus we know we will have some pretty significant expenditures over the course of this year (stupid roof) and we want to make sure we're saving all we can. I've spent a few of my evenings working on it and it's almost done, so hopefully we will have it fully functional very soon.

3) Go on a monthly date night. Steve and I have seriously only been on like...3 or 4 dates, just him and I, since Anna was born. Which is pretty pathetic. We are both homebodies though and so this hasn't been some huge source of conflict, but we both agree that now that Anna is older, it would be nice to start having a regular date night again. We are going back and forth between one date night a month or two, and it's probably going to be more budget-dependent than anything. Because going out is expensive, yo.

IMG_0284

4) Get back into our social routine. Anna and I used to have a pretty consistent, but not overwhelming, list of activities that would get us out of the house at least a couple of times a week. We do have our Wednesday play group which has been awesome, but ever since mid-November and the holidays hit, our schedule has gone completely out the window. I'd like to get back into a few of our old favorites, like the library story hours and our walks, and maybe find some new ones too. And I think Anna would appreciate a change of scenery too.

5) Schedule in more "me" time. It sounds pretty self-indulgent to type this out, but oh well. One thing that I very much underestimated in regards to being a parent, and especially a stay at home mom, was how mentally exhausted you can be at the end of the day. I've got a lot to juggle, and one thing that I've realized about myself recently is that I have a bad habit of not recognizing when I am getting burned out until I'm officially burned out. And then I get snappy and irritable and tired. There have been SO many weeks this year that the only time I have been "off" mom-duty was when I was grocery shopping, and I have nobody to blame for that except myself. Steve is usually a very good sport about watching Anna if I need to go do something, and I just need to start penciling in a couple of hours on the weekend to go take some time for myself. It would be nice to be able to go for my walk without having to focus on entertaining Anna, or it would be REALLY nice to go sit in the squashy comfy chair at Starbucks and read my book without being interrupted. And I think making some recharge time a priority will help me be a better and more patient wife and mother.

IMG_0288

I think this list has given us a good direction on things to work on this year. Anybody else have some resolutions they want to share?

2 comments:

Lisa Elaine said...

I like this. I started putting Anna in a church's mother's day out morning once a week (only for 3hours or so) so she can hang out with other babies and I can get my haircut or go to the doctor if I need to, or just read for a couple of hours. It's been awesome! And since it's not like daycare, moms don't bring their kids sick, and it's small (3 or 4 babies) which is also nice :)

Meticulous Mom said...

Budget is right at the top of my list. It got painful this year. I love your kitchen reorganization, too!