Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins

My friend Therese mentioned that her daughter loves these pumpkin muffins, and was happy to oblige when I asked for the recipe! I made mini-muffins today for play group and oh boy, were they tasty. I had to force myself to stop eating them all before Anna's friends got here today. And the rest are firmly in the freezer to avoid snacking, but I bet they will make a tasty breakfast soon!

Pumpkin Muffins

2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup water

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Beat the eggs well, and then add the other wet ingredients and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually and mix until well blended.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes for full size muffins.
Bake at 325 for 20 minutes for mini muffins.

Kathryn, what would you do to make this recipe a bit healthier? I was cringing at the amount of sugar that goes in these tasty little things but I did console myself that a mini muffin wouldn't kill a diet! Tell me your tricks please, for this recipe.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Lol, you could cut down on the sugar some, and just use less, or sub part or all of it with splenda or stevia/stevia blend. pure stevia would be like a few drops, its super sweet. But if I used all splenda no sugar, I might just do 1 cup. Splenda seems sweeter to me anyway. You could also replace some or all of the oil with no sugar added applesauce. Cutting the oil will make them less "crispy"around the edges, if that makes sense. But still really moist.

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

I make a pumpkin "muffin" that is just a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree. You just mix the two together and then bake according to the box directions. I'm not sure if that is much "better for you" but it is super easy and not too many WW points.