Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Quick Shrimp Chowder

This recipe came from one of the cookbooks I got for Christmas, Southern Living Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites (thanks Hayley!!). Whenever I get a new cookbook, I read through every recipe and stick a post-it note on the pages that I want to try. And this recipe definitely got a post-it note! I only slated it for one night, because Steve doesn't usually like soups for dinner because he says they don't fill him up, but this was a very thick soup and Steve gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up. We had a ton left over (obviously, with it being 8 servings!) and so we took the cookbook's advice to freeze the leftovers. The soup was very good and I'm excited that we will be able to have it for another dinner soon!

 The cookbook says it will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 days, or keep in the freezer for a month. I served it with french bread on the side. I do think that the next time I make it, I will contemplate trying to sneak some other veggies in there. I think some chopped red peppers maybe? Any other suggestions?

Quick Shrimp Chowder

Yield: 8 Servings
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of potato soup, undiluted
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (or you can use frozen, thawed)
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • Garnish: chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, and sautée 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in cream of potato soup, milk, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add shrimp; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish and serve immediately.

**I also added a small handful of chopped green onions to it just to add a bit more color.**

Source: Southern Living Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites

2 comments:

Robin said...

I think chopped red bell pepper is a perfect addition to this recipe! I think I'll try this sometime soon!

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

I agree with the red bell peppers. I love mushrooms and think that would be a great addition as well. Additionally with any soup I am never scared to throw in a handful of spinach at the end so it just barely wilts. You don't even taste the spinach but it add a ton of good stuff!