Sunday, March 4, 2012

This is a Post About Elmo

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, Anna Bean has developed quite an infatuation for that furry little friend known as Elmo. Even though she still has no interest in watching actual TV (which I am very thankful for!), she LOVES watching Elmo's songs on Youtube. She has a playlist now that has 6 or 7 of her top favorites and sometimes they are a Godsend on days where we are counting down the minutes until bedtime!!

Since I watch them with her, I've been really impressed with Sesame Street. I haven't really seen it since I was a kid, and even then we didn't really watch it that often. Their production qualities are amazing and I am so impressed that even the most minor songs have Elmo in these exquisitely constructed costumes. I mean, I know that logically Sesame Street is a massive moneymaker in terms of merchandise, but I guess I just always assume that the quality standards are a little lower/cheesier for children's shows. Well, not for Sesame Street!

I also found myself really curious about the behind-the-scenes work for Sesame Street. It's interesting to see how they arrange camera angles to be able to incorporate puppets and people in the same shot without showing any of the puppet magic. And the way that the puppets look so lifelike is truly amazing.


 Needless to say, when Steve and I stumbled across a documentary on Netflix a few days ago, I was dying to watch it. The documentary is called "Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey" and features the life story of Kevin Clash, the puppeteer who brought Elmo to life. I had seen random snippets about Kevin Clash on the internet and everything always made it seem like he was a really nice guy, so I was excited to watch this documentary. It's only about an hour long but I loved seeing that puppetry is his true passion (even as a kid!) and I also really loved seeing behind-the-scenes peeks at Sesame Street and the Puppet Workshop, where they build all the puppets. And I'm not gonna lie, I teared up when they showed Kevin meeting with one of many of his Make-A-Wish children, whose last wish in life is to get to meet Elmo.

If you have Netflix Streaming, and especially if you have a kiddo that loves Elmo as much as Anna does, definitely go watch this - I promise it deserves two enthusiastic thumbs up!

No comments: