Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Anti-Crib Club

As you all know, we have been hoping to keep Bean in a crib for at LEAST the next several months, if not for another year. Well...she apparently didn't get that memo.

IMG_2072

On Monday, after my doctor appointment, I put Bean down for her nap and came downstairs only to hear a loud "THUNK!" followed by frantic wailing. I run back upstairs and sure enough, Anna's lying on the floor screaming. I get her calmed down and back asleep, and put her back in the crib, hoping that it was just a one-off occurrence. THUNK!!! Nope.

Once Steve got home, we tried to lower the mattress all the way down to the floor and even tried putting her in the Pack 'N Play. THUNK!!!! Finally we just gave up and put the mattress on the floor of her room, because I was convinced she was going to break her neck. That night was an epic disaster.

We had always intended to move her straight into a twin bed once we were done with the crib, but given the immediate need to figure out her sleeping arrangements and also given the fact that the twin beds are still up at the lake house, we decided to just go ahead and get her a toddler bed. And I made a HUGE deal out of it so that Anna would be all excited and feel like a big girl, and maybe that would make her want to sleep in it. I took her to the store with me and let her help me pick it out (actually it was pretty much the only white toddler bed in stock here in Atlanta so there wasn't a whole lot of picking going on, haha), I let her play around me and "help" me put it together, and then we played on the bed and I let her jump on it as much as she wanted.

IMG_2082

We keep her two pink bunnies and her favorite green blanket that our friend Kathryn knitted for her on the bed. I keep thinking that she needs a pillow too but given the fact that everything winds up on the floor anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Night times have been much better than I could have ever anticipated, although it takes much longer to get her asleep. Nap times have been a nightmare. Toss all of this in with HVAC folks coming and going all week, and needless to say, it's been quite the consuming few days for me!! I think Anna might have heard me say that I needed something to take my mind off of my doctor appointment. Well-played, Bean. Well-played.

IMG_2084

One other really funny story in regards to these sleeping shenanigans - we were all sitting on the floor in the nursery while Stevo was taking the metal bed frame off of the crib so we could try putting the mattress on the floor. Anna was overjoyed that Daddy was home and on the floor, and she kept trying to climb all over him and play with him. She kept saying "Dada! Dada! Dada!!!!" and finally he was like, "what, Bean??". Then she takes her lion puppet from the zoo, shoves it in his face, and yells "RAAAAAWR!!!!" I laughed so hard there were tears in my eyes!! 

IMG_2088
Crazy baby!

The toddler bed is still in the nursery for now, and we're planning to get her big girl room furnished and decorated in the next month or so, before any potential bed rest for me would start. I'm excited to get it all decorated and to make it a fun, girly little space for her!