Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sister, Sister

I had never met any of my sister Allyson's friends before, so they obviously had no idea that I was also pregnant. Imagine their surprise when they show up to Allyson's shower and we're BOTH sporting big baby bumps! I found myself telling our "positive pregnancy test" story several times at the shower and I realized I never shared it here. It's a cute story, so here you go!

Steve and I had just started trying for baby #2, and without getting TMI about it, I was very much convinced that the month of November was crossed off the list. Steve left to go out of town for a guys' weekend a few days before my birthday. My phone rings and it's my beautiful sister, calling with the surprising but very exciting news that I was going to be an auntie!!! After a few seconds of "Wait, what?" followed by many giddy squeals, she told me that she was due in July and gave me all the good first trimester gossip. We made plans to go out to lunch the next day to celebrate.

After hanging up the phone, I couldn't shake the feeling that maybe I should go take a pregnancy test myself. Even though ALL bodily signs gave the indication that it would be a waste of time and a waste of a pregnancy test. But I did happen to have a test there, so I took it, and then took the stick with me as I loaded Bean in the car to go play at the mall.

My cell phone timer went off, so at the next stoplight, I look down at the test. And saw two lines. At the next stoplight, I looked down at the test again. And still saw two lines. So I pick up the phone and call my OB's office to see if there was any possible reason that I would get a positive pregnancy test, besides being pregnant. They laughed at me, said congratulations, and scheduled me for a pregnancy confirmation appointment.

The next day at lunch, Allyson and I happily chatted about her upcoming bundle of joy. I made the prediction that it was going to be a girl (nope). Then as our food arrived and we were ready to switch topics of conversation, she asked if Steve and I had thought about when #2 was going to happen. I smiled and said, "Yep, actually I'm due in August." The shocked look on her face was priceless, and then she started crying!! LOL.

After lunch, we went shopping and bought Bean a "Big Sister" shirt for her to wear when Steve got home (I would also like to point out that he was out of town on a guys' trip when I found out I was pregnant with Anna!!). He didn't even notice her shirt for the longest time, so it was kind of anticlimactic, but then when he finally realized what it said, he was like, "What? Are you pregnant??" and he was a bit shell-shocked until the next day, haha.

Now here we are 7 months later, happy and excited to meet our new little girl AND our handsome little nephew!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a sweet story!!