Sunday, July 29, 2012

Belly Babbles Book Club - Bed Rest Edition

I took advantage of my 2 weeks of bed rest and c-section recovery time to do some reading. I don't usually have a lot of time anymore just to sit and read, so I enjoyed it! And I found some great books so I thought I'd share.


On the Island, by Tracey Garvis Graves: Wow, I loved this book, and read it a second time almost immediately. The general premise is that a young man and the woman hired as his tutor crash on a isolated beach on their way to the family summer destination. They fight to survive together and end up falling in love. Their relationship feels so genuine and organic - a refreshing change from the Nicholas Sparks-esque "instant attractions" that seem to be so popular right now. I loved reading about their adventures on the island, right down to Chicken, and I loved even more reading about how they found a way to reconnect back in the world, despite their unconventional relationship. 



 Alice I Have Been, by Melanie Benjamin: This book might not be everyone's cup of tea (heh), but if you have even a passing interest in historical fiction, Alice in Wonderland, or the British Victorian era, then you will love this book. The fictional novel follows the "real" Alice, and explores her role as the muse of Lewis Carroll, and the development of her life as both Alice Liddell and Alice of Wonderland. I actually discovered this book as an audiobook back in the golden days when Anna would let me go on walks with her, and thought both the book and the narrator were phenomenal. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this again as a book, and have happily added it to my Nook collection. 



The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern: My friend Kara suggested this book, and since she has never steered me wrong when it comes to good reading, I immediately checked it out at the library. In this book, two magical prodigies are bound together in a tournament of talents, where they never truly understand the rules or the stakes. The stage for the tournament is a mysterious circus, open only at night, and showcases a rich cast of enthralling characters. I loved the innovative plot, I loved the characters, and I loved the depth that the author gives to the circus. Unfortunately, I picked up this book right in the middle of the newborn stage (and therefore had a very fragmented attention span!!), so I am eager to re-read it when I can focus in more solid stretches. Seriously, read this one. 



Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks: But Sarah, just three paragraphs ago you were running down Nicholas Sparks!! Yes, I know. But this is my blog and I can be as contradictory as I want, haha. Anyway, although I don't generally go out of my way to read N.S. books, I will read them occasionally and this one caught my eye at the library. The story follows a young woman who escapes from an abusive marriage and finds a new life and new love in a sleepy coastal town. Although the story was a little slow to develop, I am happy that I kept reading because I thought the last few chapters were fascinating. If you are looking for an easy read with a fireworks of an ending, check this one out!

I'm looking to fill up my reading queue again now - anybody have any good recommendations? I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I can't wait to read On the Island!! I have had it on order through Amazon and it should finally arrive this week! I almost broke down and bought a Kindle just so I could read the e-version since it took so long to release on paper back hahaha I have heard such great things.

Kirby Lynn said...

I haven't enjoyed Nicholas Sparks in years but I picked up Safe Haven a few weeks ago on a road trip. Not something I'd normally want to spend a lot of time on but it was good for a quick, easy read. Definitely a good beach (or bedrest!) book. Glad I'm not alone in reading it!

Kelly said...

Ok, On the Island was delivered Wednesday afternoon and I was already finished by Thursday night. It was SOOOO good! I can't wait to read her next book :)