Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A New Day and a More Cheerful Outlook

After sleeping in this morning until the unheard-of hour of 11:00 a.m. (granted there was a 3 hour bout of insomnia in there too...4 a.m. is a very boring time of night in case you were wondering) and drinking a very well-made cup of coffee, I feel a little sheepish that I got as upset yesterday as I did. We knew the entire time that this was the likely scenario, and like I told Steve last night, it is really better that the high risk doctor is putting his foot down and making the executive decision about the hysterectomy. Like you all know, Steve and I decided for ourselves to (probably) stick with 2 kids and I would have hated for the surgery to go into a crisis situation because they were trying to save a uterus that we (probably) weren't even going to use again. And it sounds like the hysterectomy was going to happen anyways, based on the degree of damage - I would SO much rather the entire medical team know that ahead of time and go into it with that plan, versus the "wait and see, oops you're hemorrhaging" scenario.

I called the high risk doctor this morning and I told him that Steve and I were concerned about his concern about the placenta growing close to my other internal organs. Especially because NONE of that showed up on the MRI or any of the ultrasounds since then, and that has only been a few weeks ago. I asked him if he thought we needed to try to move the c-section up in order to limit damage to my other organs. He admitted that yes, he was very worried about my ultrasound but that no, he didn't think that we needed to move the surgery unless I start having more bleeding than the little bit that I had this weekend. Apparently he couldn't see any places where the placenta is actually growing into the other organs, and he didn't think that it would be able to grow that quickly or cause damage in the course of a week. That made me feel infinitely better - it would be one thing to lose the uterus and have it be over and be able to move on, but it would be a whole new nightmare to have ongoing issues from other organ damage.

The other funny bit of information that came out of this morning's conversation is that apparently I am quite the celebrity at the high risk doctor's office. There are 5 or 6 different doctors there (I've only seen 2 of them) and they are all interested in my situation, and have all been following it and reviewing my file. LOL! I don't mind at all - based on what I've learned the last few months, the number of accreta patients has grown at a truly alarming rate as the c-section rate has risen, so if it helps them with future accreta patients, then by all means, review my file. It was just a little funny to hear the nurse call me a celebrity. VIP all the way, baby.

So there you go. Apologies for my mental melt-down yesterday. I don't usually let myself get that upset about things but we got kind of blind-sided at what we thought were going to be boring appointments. I'm back to my "looking forward to the baby/let's get this damn thing over with" state of mind, and am going to enjoy the rest of my bed rest vacation!


Jessica Thompson said...

No need to apologize! From my experience just these past few months, emotional roller coasters are totally ok as a preggo (even more so when you add the type of stressors you have/have had!). That being said, I very much admire your positive attitude and I will continue to send lots of good thoughts and prayers your direction. I am looking forward to seeing you guys again and meeting Miss Madeline. :) If there is anything we can do for you guys don't hesitate to ask! Hope the remainder of your week goes by well.

Allyson said...

I think you've earned your right to have a meltdown here and there! Madeline's almost here, so it'll be over soon and then you can concentrate on all those diaper changes and potty training adventures! Let me know if you need anything, you know i'm right around the corner! (well, somewhat :D)