Monday, July 2, 2012

Welp

The day started out well with an optimistic visit to my regular OB. She hinted that we might be able to try a spinal epidural instead of going straight to general anesthesia, she says she isn't OVERLY concerned about the tiny bit of bleeding that I've been having, and everything seemed pretty stable.

Then we get to the high risk doctor's office. The ultrasound tech spends about 5 minutes looking at the monitor, prints out a profile picture of Madeline for us, and then says, "I think the doctor is going to want to look at this so just hang tight for me for a minute and we'll be right back, okay?"

Fan.Effing.Tastic.

The doctor is pretty confident that the placenta has grown through the uterine wall, and he pointed out multiple areas of concern. They also highlighted an area of concern where it's getting uncomfortably close to some of my other organs. As those of you who have been following this might remember, this was the worst degree of accreta and one that we thought we had avoided.

He said he doesn't recommend that my doctors even attempt to save the uterus because the bleeding would be too bad and we would be risking major hemorrhage. He also thinks they need to come in from the top of the uterus (instead of through my original incision site near my bikini line) because it's pretty much the only way to avoid hitting the placenta.

Watching his face during all of this was one of the worst feelings of my life. He knew we were now in the worst-case scenario position and he was not happy to deliver the news. We told him that we wanted them to do what they needed to do, and we meant it...but it's still not fun to see your high risk doctor stress out while looking at your ultrasound.

The operating room is booked and at least three doctors will be in the room. Steve will not be allowed in, but he will be waiting and ready to go with Madeline to the NICU. 4 units of blood have been ordered, along with some kind of contraption that will allow them to recycle my blood back into me if they need it. I have a pre-op appointment with the anesthesiologist on Friday and we're just going to hope that we don't have to go into an emergency situation before next week.

I just want all of this to be over.

Hi Sweet Girl, we love you

4 comments:

Lisa Elaine said...

Oh Sarah I'm so sorry. What terrible news :( I was going to offer to come by on July 10 when I am in Atlanta next, but sounds like that might not be a great idea. I know there are so many people taking care of you but I still wish there was something we could do! Let us know whenever you do want a visit and I'll make it happen. Praying for your sweet family.

Sarah Morgan said...

Big hug to you Sarah. I know I can't say anything to help . Just know there are lots of us praying and supporting you! Your a strong brave woman!

Kirby Lynn said...

Sarah, reading this really broke my heart for you. I hurt for and with you. I hate that what was only a possibility has turned into your situation. I'll be thinking of you and Steve as the surgery approaches. I'm here if you need a listening ear.

Robin said...

Uh, I can't even imagine. Just hang in there and stay strong. You'll make it through and it sounds like you have a great support system of family and friends around to help you cope. My thoughts will be with you!