Monday, August 6, 2012

Around the Home

We've been busy this last month, catching up on housework and projects from me being out of the game for so long. We have been very thankful for an easy c-section recovery this time around and I thought I'd share some of the results of our productivity. I'd love to hear what y'all have going on around the house or garden!

1) We finally set up a budget in Quicken. Mint.com was great for what it was but there were a bunch of annoying and cumbersome quirks that I usually didn't have the mental energy to really work around. Maybe I was just doing it wrong or maybe our budget was too complicated, but we finally just ended up buying Quicken and getting everything set up in there. I am optimistic with the budget because it is very realistic and will still let us save a good bit every month. I will be going back to my weekly account reconciliations and making sure we stay on track!

2) We also finally set up a 6 week dinner menu plan. We have been talking about doing this for probably years at this point, and we just never did. I would plan out dinners for the week, maybe two weeks, but never a cohesive plan like this. I have already noticed a difference with the weekly grocery bill! Right now it's just on a sheet of notepaper, but I am planning to set it up as a Google calendar so I can access it anywhere, and I am also planning to create a document each week outlining the recipes' shopping lists - the theory being that once all of the weeks are done, I can just print it and have my shopping list ready to go vs. having to look up all the recipes again.

3) We have been using our garden! Oh, this has been so much fun :-). We got a little backed up with all of the produce, so I've been making a concerted effort to use only fruits and vegetables from the garden. So far I've made tomato basil soup, a tomato basil omelet, zucchini bread, eggplant parmesan, and roasted yellow squash, in addition to our regular salads and herb snippings. We've also got two pretty good-sized pumpkins growing, and we have those slated for our annual pumpkin beer as soon as the weather starts to cool down! We've also been keeping notes on what grew well and what didn't, so we can have an even better garden next year. I guess soon we will need to work on our fall and winter plantings, right? So that's next on our list!

4) We've gotten our cabernet sauvignon wine and our pinot grigio wine bottled, and another batch of cab sitting in the fermenter. Steve and I love drinking wine together and this has been such a fun venture to try our own - I hope it all turns out well!!


What have you all been up to? Any fun projects? What are you planting for the fall?

No comments: