Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Big Girl Room Big Reveal!

Well folks, it's finally finished!! Easily our biggest project so far in the house, we have had SO much fun doing a room makeover for Anna's big girl room. Our initial goal was to have it finished by her birthday, but obviously that didn't happen, and we are happy we took our time with it because it turned out so much better than we ever could have predicted.

If you don't remember, this is what the room looked like before, as our farm-themed guest room:



And now?

DSC_0065

DSC_0041

DSC_0078

DSC_0032

Ta da!! We love it SO much. And even more importantly, Anna Bean loves it too! She has been quite the supervisor, monitoring the progress of the room, and would always get so excited when we would pick her up and ask her if she wanted to go check in on her big girl room. Anna loves being in her new room and although I tried to make it look perfect in the pictures, this room is very much "lived in"...even getting it cleaned up for pictures was quite the job! It went something like this: clean up, pull out camera, get the camera in focus. Put camera down, move crayons. Get camera in focus, put camera down, nudge Anna out of the way and put the books back. But hey, it's her room, and I'm just happy to get a few good snapshots of it!

DSC_0035

Since we have two girls and we don't know if we will have a third, we wanted to go ahead and build the room for two. And even if we just stick with the two, now they will always be able to have "sleepovers"!

DSC_0083

I am planning to do a behind-the-scenes post once I can scavenge all the pictures off of our two phones, so I will just focus on the fun finished highlights for now.

DSC_0094

The piece-de-resistance and easily our most successful feature is Anna's very own mailbox. Her favorite "chore" of the day is to help me check the mail, and when I saw this idea on Pinterest, I fell in love and I fell in love hard!! Guys, we have had SO much fun with this thing. It's been up for a couple of weeks now, and every few days we will put some little treat in there - a new pack of stickers, a new board book from the Target dollar section or the library used book sale, a fun-size pack of M&Ms...just something little. And then later that day, we'll say, "Anna, I think you should go check your mailbox!" She will RUN upstairs to her mailbox, lift the flap, and then be utterly delighted to find something in there. The smile on her face when she finds something in there is the most priceless part of the day, and I hope that we use this mailbox for years and years and years. Once she can read we will put little lovey notes in there for her, and even her own real mail that she receives so that she can open it when she gets home from school. I freaking love this thing and so does Anna!!

DSC_0001

DSC_0005
Today she got glow bracelets and a new Halloween book.

Oh and Maddie has a matching one too, of course :-). We have installed them in the little hallway outside of their respective rooms, both hung at toddler-height!

DSC_0096

The other fun feature inside of the room is the bulletin boards. We had the frames already which Steve handily painted, and they were the last things to get finished because I couldn't decide what to put in them. I wanted them to be something personalized, but we already did the toddler finger-painting down in the playroom so I was kind of stumped. Then, I realized that it would be the most fun to let them reflect whatever current artwork Anna wanted to showcase, so we turned them into fabric-covered bulletin boards. I drew Anna's most-requested artwork for now - a picture of our family and hearts. But hopefully soon we will have some Anna originals up there!

DSC_0046

DSC_0043

 We also knew that we needed some kind of bookcase in the room. Anna absolutely loves to read with her mommy and daddy, so I wanted to create some kind of little reading area. The only problem is that the room is kind of small, so space is at a premium especially with the two beds in there. I looked at dozens of bookcases online and the second I saw this dollhouse bookcase, I knew it was the one I wanted!! It has just enough space for all of Anna's favorites, and still gives her enough room to play. Those dolls in there now are ones that I had as a little girl - they had been a gift from my grandmother. I was delighted to find them in a box of my old stuff and I am so happy that I have a little piece of my childhood to pass down to the girls. Anna loves them - they are frequent stroller riders! And that giant bean bag is awesome - it's easily big enough for me and two little girls, and we've already spent many an afternoon sitting in it reading every book in our collection.

DSC_0030

The closets are more functional than anything. The polka-dot drawers house the odds-and-ends of a toddler's room - diapers, shoes, pajamas, hats, tights, etc. Right now Anna's stuff is in one closet and then we are using the other closet as Anna's dress-up/costume closet, but it will be Maddie's closet if they end up sharing a room. The other really functional part of the room is the windows - they are fully covered in blackout liner, and then the curtains are also lined with blackout liner. Anna needs the room DARK for her naps and these windows definitely do the trick! I also intentionally left the floor bare - I want it to be quick and easy to clean!!

DSC_0037

Pinterest also saved the day when it came to artwork for Anna's room. I had already more than maxed out the decorating budget by the time I started looking at all of the walls, so I knew whatever I did had to be cheap. I turned to Pinterest to try to find some printable artwork and it didn't disappoint! I found the subway art printable there, and it's so perfect for Anna and the room that I literally squealed when I found it. I also found the bird printables there, and after a quick enlargement in Photoshop and some positioning on pretty scrapbook paper, I had the artwork I needed and it looks adorable in the room!

DSC_0021

DSC_0027

I think that's just about it for the finished walk-through - do you guys love it?? Like I said, I will do a behind-the-scenes tour of it once I get a chance to get all the pictures together. The room was very DIY-heavy and I think you will enjoy seeing what all we (and by we, I mean Steve) managed to do in there!

DSC_0048

DSC_0075

In the meantime, here is a source list of everything we bought...I think I got everything but if you are curious about something that I forgot, don't hesitate to ask! I bought most of the new stuff from Target because I bought pretty much everything online (who has time to shop anymore??), and I wanted it to be easy to return, and I got a little bit of a discount with my Target debit card.

Paint Colors - Windwood Spring by Behr (blue) and Benjamin Moore Basic White
Bed Frames - inherited from the lake house so maybe Pottery Barn Kids? I don't really know
Bedding - Macy's
Bird Artwork in between beds - Target
Alarm Clock - Target
Jewelry Box- Target
Closet drawers - Target
Wall Clock - Target
Dollhouse Bookcase - Target
Bean bag - Target
Lamp - Target
White frames for the printables - Target
Closet door mirror- Walmart
Polka dot box spring sheets - Walmart
Polka dot curtains - Overstock
Bed rails- Amazon
Pink blankets - Amazon
Pink wire basket - repurposed from guest room but originally bought at Queen of Hearts Antiques
Pink drawer knobs - Amazon
Mailboxes- Home Depot

7 comments:

Meg said...

love love Anna's big girl room very creative Sarah great job!!

Kathryn said...

I love it! So cute! Can I come to a sleep over?

Becca said...

Her room look amazing! Awesome job! <3

Sarah Morgan said...

Wow!!!! I love it! So sweet!

Jessica T said...

Sarah, her room looks wonderful!! I love it :-)

Nicole said...

Sarah - no way - I LOVE IT!!! Love the color, love the bedding, love the mailbox. Awesome job =)

Kelly said...

This is absolutely amazing!! You guys did a fantastic job :)