Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Club Friday



My friend Kristyn always does this link-up and I always wanted to play along, and finally this week the stars aligned to where I had time to blog on Friday and also actually read a book. And...big bonus...the book didn't involve toddler discipline OR potty training. Aren't you all lucky, haha.

I was very excited to finally get my hands on this book: Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, by the Countess of Carnarvon. I had been on the library's waiting list for it for quite some time, so I was thrilled to finally receive the pick-up notice email last week! Steve and I are both big fans of the show Downton Abbey, and it was a lot of fun to read this book after having watched the show. I never realized that many of the episodes were based (loosely) on the castle's history, and even Cora is inspired by the real Countess of that day, Lady Almina of the Rothschild fortune.

I was also very interested in reading about the day-to-day life on the Highclere estate. Grand houses at that time were their own economic power, supporting hundreds of families and generating income and employment. I loved being able to visualize the settings and characters from the show while reading this book, and it was also fun to recognize names from the castle's history that have been incorporated into the show, like Bates. It was also exceptionally interesting to read the castle's role during WWI (it was in fact a hospital) and also the Earl of Carnarvon's role in finding King Tut's tomb in Egypt.

If you are also a fan of the show, I highly recommend picking up this book. It's an easy and quick read, and the current Countess does a fantastic job at making the castle's history, and its inhabitants, come alive.

1 comment:

Inspired Mom said...

This is really interesting! I haven't seen the show or read the book but now I'm interested.