Thursday, October 11, 2012

Check-Ups Catch-Ups

I've been back to see my OB/GYN a couple of times since Maddie's delivery and I'm happy to report that everything is looking great! I love the staff at that office and they are always thrilled to get to see Miss Maddie (Anna stays home with Daddy).

At my 6 week post-partum check up, I had a thorough conversation with my main doctor about the possibility of more kids in the future. She took the conversation very seriously, which I appreciated. Right after the c-section both the doctors were all chipper and "Yay! You still have a uterus, you can have more kids!!", but I didn't know if they were just being nice because it was post-surgery or if they truly thought my uterus could handle another pregnancy. I am glad the doctor didn't just brush off the conversation and I am glad that she was honest with her feelings about it.

Doctor said that if the accreta had been more severe, that she wouldn't recommend us trying again. But she said since the accreta really ended up being minimal, that she would feel comfortable with another pregnancy. Apparently it's a total gamble on the placenta positioning itself correctly - if it positions correctly then it's all great and nothing to worry about. If the placenta is previa again, then we go in with the same strategy of pelvic rest/bed rest/hysterectomy and hope for the best. Either way, it would definitely be another c-section. This recovery was so easy though that I wouldn't even be upset about that. Doctor said there is no way to predict the placenta positioning ahead of time, we just have to cross our fingers. She did also recommend waiting at least 18 months before getting pregnant again vs. the year that she recommended after Anna, just to give the uterus even more time to heal.

Speaking of placenta previa, did y'all see this interview with Tori Spelling? Holy cow, right???

We also settled on a birth control, one that I hadn't tried yet. Steve and I aren't totally sure that we want to gamble on a third baby, and the first two months with Maddie were so hard (before we figured out the dairy sensitivity) that I kept telling him to go get a vasectomy. And I even had all of my nicer maternity clothes pulled out to sell! But of course now that Maddie is a sweet happy baby, I am already getting baby fever when I see a cute baby bump or newborn or a friend's picture of a positive pregnancy test. Regardless, we do feel that we would be totally happy with our two beautiful girls, and we want to wait 18-24 months anyway, so birth control needed to be figured out. I never did well on most hormonal birth controls, and most of the hormonal birth controls are off-limits if you're breastfeeding anyway, so that narrowed our decision down considerably. I opted for ParaGard, which a non-hormonal intrauterine device (IUD). It is effective as a birth control for 10 years, so we have plenty of time to make a decision, and it can be removed at any time if we decide to try to get pregnant again. I know several of you were interested in hearing more about it so I will be sure to update again in a few months, but so far I like it. It was a little painful to get it placed and I felt crampy for about a week, but now everything is great and I am happy I got it.

 Time to get the day started, according to my two little alarm clocks - happy Thursday, everybody!

No comments: