Friday, November 23, 2012

Gobble Gobble Gobble

We celebrated Thanksgiving at home this year, with my BFF sister and her family. Cooking the big dinner was quite the adventure with the two little ones but it was fun and if anything, we learned some good lessons for Christmas!!

DSC_0327
Playing with Daddy's toy helicopter, she loves this thing.

IMG_4511

IMG_4529

This year also had the added challenge of cooking dairy-free dishes because of Maddie's sensitivity. I spent quite a bit of time poring over recipes and recipe reviews and tips on baking and cooking with dairy substitutes, and we were all very impressed with how everything turned out. I did cave on the pumpkin pie - all of the yummy vegan recipes we found for pumpkin pie seemed to have a lot of ingredients that I would have to buy, and I just wasn't all that interested in tackling that. But except for the pumpkin pie (which I skipped), everything was dairy-free and got the thumbs up from everybody!! The turkey had to be popped back into the oven, but I'm going to blame my very wonky oven for that one. The green bean casserole was the definite winner and will be making a reappearance at Christmas!

IMG_4534

DSC_0296

DSC_0299

IMG_4533

This was the list of recipes that I used. I also bought coconut milk ice cream from Publix, dairy-free rolls from Whole Foods, and made some standard mashed potatoes. We used almond milk where we could directly substitute, and then we used the Earth Balance "butter" sticks in place of butter.

Turkey
Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Butternut Squash Crunch
Bread and Celery Stuffing

DSC_0307
Anna procured a whisk and pretended to cook her fruit.

DSC_0316
Marshmallow goes on your nose, obviously.

DSC_0310

DSC_0311
Look at this kid!!! I love him!

IMG_4535

IMG_4539
Lots of leftovers!

IMG_4464

No comments: