Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I know it's almost the end of the month, but hey, it's still January, so technically I'm still on time for this!

No matter how much stock you put into New Year's resolutions, this is always the perfect time of year for some self-reflection and mental preparation for the upcoming year. I came up with a few personal goals and wanted to share!

1) Shop my house more. I love doing projects around the house but over the years I have fallen into the habit of just running out to the store and buying whatever I need, instead of spending some time seeing if I already have something that will work. So I'm resolving to "shop my house" for projects before I buy anything new. The project might not turn out Pinterest-perfect but it will get the job done and save a bunch of money! I have already put this into practice on several organizational projects that I've done in the past few weeks and it's already paying off in terms of saving money and clearing out the clutter.

2) Polish my photography. I have really slacked off with pictures this past year and it's one of my bigger regrets. It's even harder taking my camera with me now with Maddie strapped to me, but I resolve (at least at home) to get back into manual mode, back into the portrait lens, and also spend some time familiarizing myself with Photoshop filters and editing. An iPhone covered in peanut butter and jelly just doesn't work the same!! It's one of my more fun hobbies and I enjoy doing it, so it will both document our beautiful babies and also give me some added mommy time.

3) Revamp my cleaning schedule. Our schedule has changed dramatically over the last year and especially in the last month (more on that later!). I always loved having my cleaning schedule written out and easily knocked out, and I know it will be worth my time to revamp it to fit my current needs. We also revamped our weekly menu, and now have 6 weeks of dinners already planned out. We are on week 4 now and it's been a great success, so I'm hoping the cleaning schedule will be equally positive.

4) Cut the trash. Saying I have been overwhelmed with the two kiddos is a bit of an understatement, and a lot of the things that I did with Anna, like cloth diapers, have been an afterthought with Maddie. But every time I use them, I remember why I liked them so much, and I resolve to get back to cloth more with Maddie. I also resolve to cut back again on our paper cleaning supplies and to keep up with the laundry of the napkins and cleaning cloths.

5) Get Personal. One of the things that I love about my sister's home is all of her family pictures, and it has made me realize how often I forget to actually print our pictures and hang them up. So I resolve to get more pictures printed and proudly displayed!!

Well, I had other ones, but my brain has given up for the evening. One of the hazards of a sleep-deprived momma, haha. What about you all? Any fun resolutions to share??

No comments: