Sunday, May 5, 2013

Derby Days

The weather here in Atlanta this weekend was chilly and rainy, so we kept at home and chased off the last off the nasty virus that we all managed to catch this week. By the end of Saturday we were all bored out of our brains and driving each other nuts, so we decided to throw ourselves an impromptu Derby Party in honor of the Kentucky Derby. These pictures are far from the greatest, they were taken very quickly with a very dirty phone, but we had such a good time that I hate to not share!

IMG_9048

IMG_9051

I pulled out my hat stash (because what Southern girl doesn't have a hat stash?) and Anna helped me pull out all of the horses and horse toys. Steve got into the preppy spirit with a tie and Anna and I put on our "fancy" shoes.

IMG_9060
I have no idea if that orange toy is a cow or a horse but for the sake of our theme we are going to go with horse.

IMG_9024

IMG_9034

IMG_9036

We played bowling and bean bag toss to help pass the time until the big race. One of my old party playlists put a fun beat into the background.

IMG_9108

IMG_9117
See Maddie trying to squirm her way over to Mommy?

Bean helped me make some strawberry cupcakes while bartender Steve made us some mint juleps.

IMG_9123

IMG_9136

IMG_9124

IMG_9127

IMG_9132

IMG_9148

We watched the race and Anna got a huge kick out of cheering on the horses.

IMG_9159

Anna loved our party and woke up this morning asking for "Hats? Shoes? Horses? Party!" This might have to become an annual tradition!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Lol, sooo cute!!

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

Totally awesome! My family always did this while I was growing up and I still remember the fun parties we had! Such cute pics!

Becca said...

This is so awesome, and it looks like you all had a blast!