Sunday, August 4, 2013

All Aboard!

One thing that Steve and I have very recently started trying is a special weekly "date" with each of our daughters, to give them some one-on-one time with each of us. Last week Steve took Anna out for pizza and then to the pet store to buy a new fish - she came home glowing and full of stories from her time with Daddy. So next it was my turn!

IMG_2230

This past Saturday, I had penciled in a special event at the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth. You might remember that I had included a visit to this museum on our summer bucket list (which we have basically been ignoring), and I figured this event was a good fit for Anna. Steve was happy to stay home with Maddie and play in the pool, so Anna and I headed out together for our big day out.

IMG_2237

IMG_2241

"Good fit" ended up being quite an understatement. I don't think I have ever seen Anna so actively engaged for such an extended period of time, outside of Disney World. We ended up being there for almost three hours and she was enthralled the entire time - I thought for sure we would only be there for maybe an hour, tops!!

IMG_2250
Can't have too much sunblock!

IMG_2251
Do you see her caboose tattoo?

The event was fun - they had two trains to ride (we bought tickets for both, of course!), an indoor exhibit filled with old train cars to climb in, vintage taxicabs, and plenty of old railway station items. They even had a special area filled with UPS trucks, buses, tractors and hayrides. Anna was so interested in all of the big vehicles that she didn't even want to stop for the gift shop!

IMG_2256
Waiting for the train. We lucked out by getting to the museum right as it opened and we beat the crowds. I was SO happy we didn't have to wait in the long lines in the heat...it got pretty crowded as the day went on.

IMG_2265
Plane!

IMG_2272
There is a real train track that runs right by the museum, and it was hilarious to see a train go by and blow its horn. Every single kid at the museum would turn and watch the train go by!

IMG_2278
Riding the little park train...much more enjoyable than the freight train, in my opinion!

IMG_2275

We took a break about halfway through our visit to enjoy an ice cream cone in the shade. The weather heated up very quickly and I was thankful that we didn't have the baby there. We were seated next to the main welcome desk as we ate our ice cream and I enjoyed listening to the gentleman sitting at the desk answering literally any random question about trains thrown at him. He sure did know his stuff!

IMG_2293

IMG_2296

After our refreshment break, we explored some of the historic train cars inside the museum.

IMG_2312

IMG_2317

IMG_2326

IMG_2330
Here she is telling me to stay in my bed or she will shut the door. Finger wag and everything, hahaha.

IMG_2331

IMG_2335

 IMG_2338

IMG_2341

IMG_2345

IMG_2346

We headed back out into the sunshine to see the final transportation items on display - UPS trucks and a big yellow school bus! Anna was in total awe and kept shouting "Bus!!! Bus!!!" She got to climb in, sit in the seats, and even sit in the driver's seat and honk the horn and pretend to drive.

IMG_2348

IMG_2349

IMG_2350

IMG_2359

IMG_2373
You can see her collection of rocks...the whole outside is gravel and she kept trying to pick up rocks and stick them in my purse.

IMG_2375

IMG_2378

IMG_2379

IMG_2390

We ended our day at the coloring station, where she selected a tractor to color. I could tell the excitement of the day was starting to catch up to her, so we bid the volunteers goodbye, took one last run through the UPS trucks, and climbed gratefully back into the air conditioning of the car.

IMG_2405

IMG_2406

IMG_2408

We finished off our "date" with a hamburger for lunch, and my day was complete as I tucked a freshly bathed Anna in for her nap. She gave me a huge hug and said "Trains fun Mommy, I love you."  A mother-daughter date success, in my book!

IMG_2285

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

OMG, that picture on the wooden bench, she looks just like you! That's a Sarah expression for sure.

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

She is adorable and starting to look like a "big girl" What a fun day for you 2!