Monday, October 7, 2013

A Saturday Supper

I lucked out with a particularly tasty dinner on Saturday and wanted to share!

IMG_4371

Quinoa has been quite the hot culinary item over the past year or so, and I always contemplated it but never got my act together to actually try it. Then one day, I went to a baby shower for my friend Elizabeth and the wonderful hostess Kim had this big bowl full of fantastic goodness, and I was delighted to learn that it was a quinoa salad. I shamelessly begged for the recipe, and when I found a bag of organic quinoa at Costco, it was time to cook!

IMG_4373

IMG_4370

IMG_4359

 I decided to pair the quinoa salad with some baked salmon, adapted for my own selfish dammit-I-forgot-oranges-I'm-not-going-back-to-the-store convenience. It ended up being such a delicious and filling dinner, and it was given two enthusiastic thumbs-up from everyone at the table. I doubled the salad recipe so I could have leftovers for lunch, and I actually had plenty of leftovers for a couple of days - we had a big bowl of it!

IMG_4358

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
1 cup of cooked corn
1 can of black beans, drained
1 pint of grape tomatoes
2 shallots
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
2 avocados
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Prepare the quinoa according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, cilantro, and shallots.
Chop the avocados and set aside.
Mix all of the ingredients, except the quinoa and avocados, in a large bowl.
Toss in quinoa.
Add the chopped avocados and stir right before serving.

(I wish I had a source for this, Kim said she found it on the Internet but I couldn't find the exact recipe despite repeated Googlings. So the source is Elizabeth's friend Kim. If someone else finds it I would love to give official credit!)

IMG_4355

IMG_4369

IMG_4351

Baked Citrus Salmon

 Serves 4

2 lbs fresh salmon fillets
1/2 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 large lemons, sliced.

Rinse fish, pat dry with paper towels, and lay in a greased nonstick baking pan.

Sprinkle fish with lemon pepper seasoning.

Drizzle with soy sauce.

Arrange the lemon slices on top of the fish.

Bake, covered, in a 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Source: adapted from Better Homes and Garden Cooking for Two

No comments: