Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Girls' Day Out

As our Christmas break was winding down, I started feeling like I needed a special day out just with Anna. It's rare that she gets quality one-on-one time with me and I thought I should take advantage of Steve being home to watch Maddie.

Steve dropped us off at the mall to have lunch and to do some shopping.

IMG_8788

IMG_8791

IMG_8784

IMG_8793

We found her a cute hat and mittens set at Gymboree - something she needed for her winter bike rides! We also wandered by the Disney store, where she picked out a stuffed Lambie from Doc McStuffins.

The next item on the agenda was one that Anna was particularly excited about - her very first trip to the movie theater! Many of my friends had taken their little kids to see Frozen, and it encouraged me to give it a go with Anna. We got to the movie theater right in time. Anna was in charge of handing our tickets to the attendant, and then we loaded ourselves up with a bag of popcorn.


 I had to laugh when we sat down in our seats - Anna started out by sitting on the edge of her seat but as soon as she sat back, I realized she wasn't heavy enough to keep the seat down and it folded up right on her! Luckily she laughed too and was happy to see the movie cuddling on my lap. Apparently a lot of theaters have special booster seats that can help keep the seat down, but I didn't know about those until after our movie, so maybe you guys can learn from my mistake!!

IMG_8795

Anna was totally intrigued with the big movie screen. She clapped after every preview and positively cackled at the Mickey Mouse cartoon short that they showed before the movie. During Frozen, she clapped and danced along to the songs. I was so impressed with how well she did - I had low expectations and was prepared to leave early, but she hung in right until the end. I wished that the movie had had just one or two more songs in the second half of the movie, because she did start to get a little antsy, but overall she did such a great job. And Frozen was a delightful movie - I understand why so many of my friends wanted to see it!

IMG_8796

IMG_8800

When we walked out of the theater and waited for Steve to pick us up, I asked if she had a fun day with Mommy, and she gave me a big hug and said "Yes Mommy, thank you for my movie and my Lambie and for my fun day!"

IMG_8806

IMG_8812

The delight has continued at home - we watch every Frozen trailer and clip we can find on YouTube and Anna dances along - we've already got the DVD pre-ordered although I think if Anna could have it her way, we'd go back to the theater and get some more popcorn!

IMG_8817

IMG_8820

We made lots of fun memories that day and I enjoyed the one-on-one time with Anna Bean...we will have to do another mother-daughter date again soon! 

No comments: