|The bathroom when we moved in, painted toilet lid and all|
One of our biggest complaints about the way this house was built and decorated over the years is that the projects were done as cheaply and as quickly as possible...for example, not using any kind of primer or prep work in hanging wallpaper. So, when we go to remove any of it, the paper tends to take entire strips of dry wall with it - no matter what kind of removal method we use. This bathroom in particular was very tough to get de-wallpapered, since it was a textured paper. And because I am fairly confident that they used Super Glue.
We painted the powder room section of the bathroom when we first moved in, although we quickly grew tired of the dark golden brown that we had picked. We have the same paint color in our kitchen and in our master bedroom, but in such a small space, it seemed claustrophobic and dirty. I was itching to brighten it up and to throw in some color. Coincidentally, I am also itching to repaint our bedroom but Steve goes temporarily deaf whenever I bring it up.
That's our clothes steamer in this picture...it was the only thing that came close to getting off the wallpaper without damage to the walls.
We had a bunch of the beadboard wallpaper leftover from Anna's room re-do, so we decided to give it another go in the bathroom. It has held up much better in the bathroom than in the room with a very artistic and rambunctious three year old, so keep that in mind if you decide to use these pictures as inspiration, haha. It also helped cover up some of the gouges in the dry wall.
Steve also added in crown molding, you can see the start of that in this picture.
After dozens of paint chips and several paint samples, we settled on Benjamin Moore's Kittery Point Green for the wall color, and we replaced all of the gold and brass fixtures for more modern chrome versions. The light fixtures got an upgrade, too! I also need to give a shout-out to Moen...we realized in trying to replace the shower fixtures that our 1989 original plumbing no longer coordinated with the newer shower models, so it was highly unlikely that any of the fixtures from Home Depot would work. We reeeeally didn't want to have to pay to have a plumber to come out and re-plumb the entire shower, so I called Moen, talked to a very nice customer service woman, emailed her pictures of the shower pipes, and told her that we wanted a chrome finish. She called me back within 20 minutes with the ONE chrome shower set they made that would work, and thankfully we were very happy with it. She saved us SO much work and headache - thanks Moen!
I use the closet in the shower room as my storage place for all of my cleaning supplies, light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, etc., so we added a small cabinet to hold extra toilet paper and towels. We also added hooks along the wall for guests to hang their wet towels.
The final touches (and my favorites!) were the two pieces of art that Steve and I picked out as our anniversary present to each other (yes, in September...like I said, I'm a little late with this). The one in the powder room reminded us of the park that we used to walk in together all of the time when we first moved into this house. The second was just gorgeous and had all of the right colors. We found both on Etsy.
We love how this all turned out, and we have been happy to have a full bathroom for guests to use if they need it. We have converted the playroom into a temporary guest room on several occasions now and it's been a perfect layout!