Tuesday, March 25, 2014

FitBit One Review

I know there are all types of pedometer/heart rate monitors on the market, but I never really paid attention to any of them. But then I had several friends get FitBits, and after hearing all of them rave about their FitBit, I decided to look into what was so great about these little gadgets.

Well, a couple of things really got me intrigued. I loved that it synced so easily with Apple devices. I loved that it seemed like it had a really user interface. And I loved that it could track your sleeping - after my seizure I was very interested to get a better feel for how well or poorly I was really sleeping at night.

I originally had my eye on the newest model, which is the FitBit Force. It was out of stock for months, and I finally just picked up the One for myself. It all worked out really well in the end- I love that I can just clip the One to my bra or shirt or pants and nobody knows it's there. There has also been some kind of recall on the Force so it all worked out well in the end.

 
Source - Fitbit.com
Once I got the Fitbit out of the box and charged, all I had to do was pair the Fitbit to my iPad and iPhone Bluetooth signals. It then walked me through the very short set-up and I was ready to rock.

Guys, I freaking love this thing. It tracks steps, stairs climbed, calories burned, and my sleep. There are also ways to track your food and exercise, and link it to My Fitness Pal. It will send prompts to your phone if you are close to one of your goals (like Steps or Stairs) to help push you to walk just a little bit further. I can look either at the FitBit screen or on my iPad or iPhone app to see where I am for the day, and I also get a weekly report with all of the days' tallies.

photo

The sleep tracker really has been interesting to see. I am a lot more restless at night than I ever would have guessed, especially when kids are in the bed. Seeing the reports broken down into numbers has also helped nudge me into going to bed earlier to try to get 8 hours of sleep....it doesn't always happen but hey, it's better than before!

photo(1)
I kind of messed this one up with the start and stop times but you get the general idea. You can go into the app and add or adjust the sleep log if you forget to press the buttons, which is really really nice.

It is pretty impressive to me how many steps and stairs I can rack up, just being in the house all day. I am sure every mama knows how much two little kids can keep you on your feet! And it is good motivation to take a walk up to the grocery store or library with the kids, because that is a quick way to get to my 10,000 step a day goal.

If I had to come up with any complaints about my FitBit, I would say that I wish it had a heart rate monitor. The other thing I am not crazy about my version is that it came with a wristband to wear on your wrist while you are sleeping, and you are supposed to slide the FitBit into the pocket. I kept having problems with the FitBit either falling out of the pocket or the whole wristband coming off, so I finally just gave up and leave it clipped to my bra. I find that it's still generally accurate although I am sure the wrist is better, if you can get the band to stay on. Overall though, these are minor inconveniences, and the pros of this little gadget very much outweigh the negatives!

1 comment:

John Smith said...

This is an awesome post. Really very informative and creative. This sharing concept is a good way to enhance the knowledge. Thank you very much for this post. I like this site very much. You can visit here. wearable technologies is exploding world wide. For information, reviews and fun facts about wearable technology, fitbit sleep tracker and best fitness band etc.