Thursday, January 14, 2016


Early in December, I took the much-talked-about plunge and got LASIK surgery. I had broached the subject with Steve a month or two earlier, since my contacts had become so uncomfortable to wear, and I loathed having to wear my glasses all of the time. He surprised me by being supportive of it, and he even said he was surprised I hadn't done it earlier.

I went with my optometrist's recommendation and was greatly impressed with Dr. Woolfson, of the Woolfson Eye Institute. Their initial exams and pre-qualifying tests were very comprehensive, and their pricing was right in line with what Google told me was the average price (I paid $3,800, which included all of the pre-testing and exams, the actual surgery on both eyes, and the post-surgery checkups for the next year).

The day of the surgery, I had to get there at 7:00 a.m., and got increasingly nervous. They do one final check of the eye pressure, etc., and then everyone waits in a room together, assembly-line style. The nurse went over a TON of info for the post-op recovery period, and I'm glad I took notes because it was a lot to remember. 

The surgery itself was beyond surreal. They put numbing drops in your eye but you can still see them doing everything, like lifting the flap of your eye and the laser. I had a much harder time dealing with the second eye, which was my weaker one and therefore took a little longer. I wish they had started with that one, before I knew what was going to happen!! The doctor moves very quickly before the eyes lose too much moisture, but it sure felt a lot longer when you're sitting in the chair staring at the laser!

After the surgery, you stay for about a half-hour to make sure everything's okay, and an optometrist looks at your eyes to make sure everything looks okay. While I was waiting for the optometrist, I had a mild panic attack because I couldn't keep my eyes open, and had to excuse myself to the restroom to pull myself together!! Everything looked great though, and the doctor assured me everything was normal.

The doctors gave me two medicines, Ativan and Phenergan, because they wanted me to sleep essentially the rest of the day. I had to continue with steroid eye drops and antibiotic eye drops for several days afterward, and slept with a plastic mask over my eyes for several days. 

Did it work? I was dumbfounded that I could see better that very night, and even better the next day. I had to use moisture drops pretty often for a few weeks, and I had night glares for a little while, but everything is totally normal now, and I have better than 20/20 vision - something I never thought I would hear in my life! Even a month later, I still find myself marveling at how well I can see things like tree leaves, or the deer in the backyard, or street signs. 

In short, if you are thinking about getting LASIK, I vote do it :-). And I do highly recommend Dr. Woolfson, if you're in the Atlanta area!

No comments: